Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Question From A Newbie

lantzwr
lantzwr Posts: 229
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
I smoked some pork tenderloins this evening, http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1157438/newbie-s-first-smoked-pork-tenderloin#latest , and I have a smoking question for you experts.  I started the fire in the middle of the lumps with one of those Weber fire starters.  Once it caught a couple of lumps on fire, I sprinkled the wood chips (which I soaked for 30 minutes in water) all around the top of the coals.  I put the platesetter, drip tray, and CI grate in and adjusted the vents to obtain 300F.  Once it stabilized, I put the meat on.  The whole time it was stabilizing, smoke was billowing out the top.  Once I put the meat on, I only got about 35 minutes of smoke.  I ended up taking everything out and sprinkling more wood chips onto the coals for the rest of the cook.  Again, I only got about 35 minutes of smoke.  It seems like I put plenty of chips on the first time to last the entire two hours.  Since I am new at this, I am wondering if I greatly underestimated the amount of wood chips needed for a 2 hour cook, or I did something wrong in starting the fire.  Anyone have any hints for the next time I try smoking?  Thanks in advance for any help.
RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    No need to soak the chips and clear blueish smoke that smells good is what you want.Sometimes you cant see the smoke but its there!!

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I second the no need to soak I am a fan of chunks unless I am doing something delicate to smoke like chicken. Chips will go up fast but even though you don't have billowing smoke you are still getting the flavor. How was the smoke flavor on your pork?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Mix the chips in the lump so it doesn't all burn at once.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lantzwr
    I second the no need to soak I am a fan of chunks unless I am doing something delicate to smoke like chicken. Chips will go up fast but even though you don't have billowing smoke you are still getting the flavor. How was the smoke flavor on your pork?
    The smoke flavor was really good.  Do you soak your chunks or do them dry also?
    No need to soak the chips and clear blueish smoke that smells good is what you want.Sometimes you cant see the smoke but its there!!

Thanks.

Boiler UP
  • lantzwr
    henapple said:
    Mix the chips in the lump so it doesn't all burn at once.
    Great idea.  I will do that next time.

Boiler UP
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    All wood is dry. Water will barely penetrate the wood, so when you first add soaked chips or chunks all your doin is letting off some steam then the smoke starts or so I have read.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2013
     I personally prefer chunks over chips.  It seems that I get more smoke flavor then when I first started and use chips.  Or it could be just what I have gotten comfortable using.   Either way I never soak them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • lantzwr
    All wood is dry. Water will barely penetrate the wood, so when you first add soaked chips or chunks all your doin is letting off some steam then the smoke starts or so I have read.

I personally prefer chunks over chips.  It seems that I get more smoke flavor then when I first started and use chips.  Or it could be just what I have gotten comfortable using.   Either way I never soak them.
    Thanks.  Once all of the chips I bought are gone, I am going start buying chunks.

Boiler UP
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    For a low and slow, a 2 hour cook, chips or chunks really doesn't matter. Mix the chips thru the lump, start the lump on the top in the front at least at the fire ring level. No need for any chips there as they will simply burn off before you start to cook. Chips will flare faster than chunks if you open the dome, keep it closed and they smoke the same. 
    Soaking is not required. 
    The egg does not need as much smoke wood IMHO as say a Weber kettle. The restricted airflow means the smoke is actually more intense even though it is mostly not visible. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I use chunks and splits. Never soak the wood and reserve the chips for the bean can smoker.

Good to hear you liked the flavor...Asd as others have said; you don't even need to see smoke. As a matter of fact, if you do see smoke, you may want to hold off a bit for a cleaner burn.