Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coincidence or Not: yep OT but VI is mixed the hell up in it........

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669

Coincidence or not?  It was just announced that Austin Texas is about to enter the worst drought sense the 1950’s. <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Village Idiot just moved to Austin, Texas.

I ask you: coincidence or not?????????????

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Another great Texan was wondering the same thing. Hmmmmmm.........
    Flint, Michigan
  • My mother used to wake me in the morning by saying, "good morning, Sunshine ! "  And, at Salado last year, Mickey pulled me aside and started singing "You are the sunshine of my life".

Guilty, as charged, I guess.  
    :(

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2013
    ABOUT to enter???????

Tell that to my lake............god help us all

The big cement blocks you see are the moorings from where my Marina (200 boats, ship store, gas dock and huge floating restaurant) used to be.It's far worse now as these pics are 2 years old. The water is supposed to go all the way to the red roofed houses across the way (they were sold as waterfront for millions). The lake is now 2/3 EMPTY and 60 feet below full.The restaurant has been closed for 3 years and sits rotting tied up to a deeper part of the lake. It's only getting worse from here. sigh.........

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ha! I just noticed the red ball on the right side of the picture. That is on a steel cable to mark the OUTER bound of the swimming area in the park in which I am standing. Itnow looks like high wire with airplane markers on it as it sits 30 feet above ground in many places. Wher I was standing is normally the middle of the swim area covered in 10-15 feet of water.

Thanks Gary 
    :-q
  • Boat For Sale (Dock Included)  please bring trailer

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i wonder how much the flood insurance went up on those houses over there this year, fema has gone crazy this year and wouldnt care if the water was that low
    ABOUT to enter???????

Tell that to my lake............god help us all

The big cement blocks you see are the moorings from where my Marina (200 boats, ship store, gas dock and huge floating restaurant) used to be.It's far worse now as these pics are 2 years old. The water is supposed to go all the way to the red roofed houses across the way (they were sold as waterfront for millions). The lake is now 2/3 EMPTY and 60 feet below full.The restaurant has been closed for 3 years and sits rotting tied up to a deeper part of the lake. It's only getting worse from here. sigh.........

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    edited October 2013

Wow-haven't seen that type of drought impact since southern California in the early 90's.  That is serious.  I gather that the Austin area is the hardest hit...

BTW @Cen-Tex-noticed your return a day or two ago.  Glad you decided to surface!  I'm sure the brisket help-line will be exercised this weekend! 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thanks Cap! I'll be at Austin City Limits Festival all weekend and in no shape to offer advice of any kind (assuming I play my cards right- and I like my chances)  ;)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Best of luck-but I believe you underestimate your ability to offer sage advice while deeply under the influence of adult supervisory beverages :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @fishless- I can't imagine the blood pressure of those folks if they get a flood insurance bill from FEMA. Thier home values have plummeted now that "Scorched Earth" has become the new "Lake Front". Those lots were $1,000,000 4 years ago. Not so much anymore.

• lousubcap said:
    Best of luck-but I believe you underestimate your ability to offer sage advice while deeply under the influence of adult supervisory beverages :)>-
    Fair enough. I would say the veracity of said "sage advice" should be considered dubious at best under the alleged circumstances you describe.

For entertainment purposes only. No wagering please

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Maybe if you could get everyone in Texas to drink more beer, they'd be drinking less of their own wastewater (which is gross). 

http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/2011/11/15/five-things-you-didnt-know-about-water-in-texas/

http://www.chron.com/default/article/Reclaimed-water-stretches-the-supply-with-yuck-2269076.php

http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/2011/11/15/five-things-you-didnt-know-about-water-in-texas/

http://www.chron.com/default/article/Reclaimed-water-stretches-the-supply-with-yuck-2269076.php
    Talk to @griffin

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2013
    Talk to @griffin

That's why I moved from Houston.  The Trinity is downstream from Dallas.   :-&

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You didn't put in another rainwater system did you Gary? Keeping it all for yourself eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    xactly what I suspected.
    :))
    Cen Tex the soothsayer wins the internets!

Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Huzzah!

• Cen Tex the soothsayer wins the internets! Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah! image
    I just cut and pasted the news my friend. Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction :))

• Drought Closing Popular Lake Travis Restaurant Today: Updated: Monday, September 2 2013, 08:31 AM CDT Mr. Wilson's Maniacal Water hoarding claims another victim: in just a few hours, Carlos N Charlie's, the famous restaurant on the shores of Lake Travis, will auction off every item in the restaurant after nearly two decades in business. The owners say plummeting lake levels during the last three months are leaving them no choice. Lake Travis is currently 43 feet below average, which has meant a 75 percent drop in business. This afternoon, owners say you'll be able to bid on anything and everything in the restaurant: booths, tables, chairs, signs; anything that's not bolted down. Jason Claunch, the restaurant's general manager, says that once the doors shut, no matter what Mr. Wilson does, the iconic hot spot's not coming back. "It's been very difficult," says Claunch. "We're in a constant battle with Mr. Wilson and Lake Travis levels. We've tried pretty much everything we can do to prolong this event." An owner with Carlos N Charlie's tells us several of his employees will be moving to other businesses owned by the partners. The auction starts at 2 p.m. at Carlos N Charlie's, located at 5973 Hiline Rd. Ten percent of every dollar you spend goes to the Central Texas Water Coalition, a nonprofit that pushes for the preservation of the Highland Lakes and the swift return of Mr. Wilson to Houston. Read More at: http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/drought-closing-popular-lake-travis-restaurant-today-12289.shtml
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    edited October 2013
    Thanks to the latest Tropical Storm Ingrid in Mexico, I was able to unstuck my small dock after 2 years drought. I was not able to use my Malibu for 2 years straight, so i can feel for you guys in Travis Lake! Excuse the garbage in the water, its just that we are Mexican`s!

Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • gary must have sold his villa in Mexico too. Seems everywhere he goes dries up and everywhere he leaves floods. Coincidence? I think not.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2013
    Ok- last one.

Carlos N' Charlies before Gary arrived in Austin:

And Carlos N Charlie's after Gary's arrival to Austin (now closed due to plummeting lake levels)

• The Austinites are out of water?  

Let them drink champagne.

Dripping Springs, Texas.