Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wing sauces

Options
brzelt
brzelt Posts: 62
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum

Quick question for the braintrust please.......  Wing Sauces?

Any favorite recipes?

I tried to brew up a garlic terriyaki the other week and it ended up being pretty much liquid, even after simmering quite awhile.  How could I have thickened it up some?  Add honey or what?  Needless to say when I tried to sauce I watched it roll off.  They tasted decent but wanted a nice thick sauce instead.  A few good ideas would be appreciated!

Bruce
L BGE
Kennesaw, GA

Comments

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Mix 2 parts water to 1 part cornstarch and add to your sauce.
    1 cup total, slowly add1/4 cup at a time till desired thickness is achieved. 
    My favorite is "jalomango lime“ from I believe DYAL_SC. Go to poultry and search jalamango lime.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Franks red hot. I put that **** on everything!
    NW IOWA
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

3/4 cup honey

1/4 cup Crystal or Franks hot sauce

1/4 tsp. or to taste ground ginger

coat your wings with Dizzy Pig's Dizzy Dust

simmer in a sauce pan for about 20-30 minutes and coat your wings after they are cooked at 250 raised direct turning once or twice for about 2 hours until the skin crisps up.

I can't remember how many wing this sauce is good for but I know I couldn't fit any more on a single grate of my large.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Funny you'd mention that @berndcrisp . :) I just submitted that recipe to the BGE peeps for the eggtoberfest. LOL. Glad you like them!! I'll be making those next weekend and my beautiful bride will be making cookies for dessert. :) We will be stationed in the North GA Eggers area along with @vidalia1 and others. Great crew!! :D
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    These are the wings I usually do. Sorry I don't have measurements, I just do it to taste.

Chicken Wings rub
    Salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, chopped thyme, oregano, and rosemary. Add a couple tablespoons of baking powder for crispiness. Few tablespoons of oil.

Grill at 425 until crispy

6 onions sliced thin
    4-5 cloves garlic minced
    2 inches of ginger grated
    Garlic Powder

Caramelize onions. When onions are brown, add garlic/ginger.

Sauce
    honey, balsamic vinegar, ginger, salt, thyme, rosemary, oregano, parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, squirt of mustard.

Mix onions with sauce and incorporate cooked chicken wings
    Dunedin, FL
  • brzelt
    Options
    Mix 2 parts water to 1 part cornstarch and add to your sauce. 1 cup total, slowly add1/4 cup at a time till desired thickness is achieved. 
    My favorite is "jalomango lime“ from I believe DYAL_SC. Go to poultry and search jalamango lime.
    Try as I may, I cannot find it anywhere.  Searching has not done me a lot of good either.
    Heck I even looked up Dyal_SC's discussions as well and no joy.

Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I like Franks Red Hot and apricot jam/jelly.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    with thinner sauces remove the wings into a big bowl and pour the sauce on and flip ahe wings over a few times. then mound them in a big pile back on the egg as deep as possible. cook them a few minututes then dump the sauce thats in the bowl on top and cook a few more minutes. more sticks that way and yes honey will help
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    brzelt said:

Quick question for the braintrust please.......  Wing Sauces?

Any favorite recipes?

I tried to brew up a garlic terriyaki the other week and it ended up being pretty much liquid, even after simmering quite awhile.  How could I have thickened it up some?  Add honey or what?  Needless to say when I tried to sauce I watched it roll off.  They tasted decent but wanted a nice thick sauce instead.  A few good ideas would be appreciated!

As a suggestion, although you can thicken it with a starch like corn or Wondra, I wouldn't The easiest solution is to not simmer it, boil it. A sauce simmering can take hours or days to reduce and thicken, boiling can make it happen in minutes (maybe as much as 20 to 30, but still minutes)
    Cazzy's Wings use a very watery marinade, which I always boil and use as a basting and finishing sauce. Stuff comes out like candy, very good. Takes about 15 minutes to reduce on the gasser side burner. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Franks Red Hot buffalo style. cut it with butter, add some garlic powder and fresh ground black pepper. Dust your wings with corn starch and the dry seasoning of your choosing and cook for about an hour at 400 indirect turning about every 15 minutes. You will slap your momma their so good
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    This is a good bourbon wing sauce I made more -- it was well received.  I made it once for the kids and cut down the hot sauce and added honey and it was great, and made it again for a group of guys per the recipe and they loved it.  Sorry, couldn't paste the recipe itself but here is the link: 

Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited October 2013
    Options
    This is what is goin on mine tonight. Really good flavor

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Silly question but if wings are cooked indirect , why do they need to be flipped?
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I mix 50/50 Franks and KC Masterpiece, a little barballo if you will.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    try it and you will see. You want to get them nice and evenly crispy, turn assure that this is acomplished. Cheers!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Will give it a try...thanks!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • brzelt
    Options
    Thanks everyone and I am glad I posted this because it answered questions I didn't realize I had...
    :)]

Thanks for the boiling instead of simmering advice,  makes a lot of sense thinking about it.

Looking forward to trying a few of these recipes as well.  So far all the wings I have done have been indirect and I think I will try direct the next batch...  Gosh I love this forum!
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • Rocket15
    Options
    Just rub them down with Old Bay and nothing else.  Unexpectedly good!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Still looking for a favorite sauce, but to share my technique I do this; grill raised direct at 350 to 375, flipping to render some fat and achieve crispiness. This takes about 40 minutes or until they look right. Simple rub. I have a few warmed sauces ready in stainless bowls and then toss the wings in right off the grill. Make sure everyone is ready to eat and serve immediately. The sauce sticks to the wings and the choices are endless. We usually do a teriyaki and some buffalo style. We do them this way so that I can grill them all without regard to which marinated ones are which.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Equal parts butter and Texas Pete hot sauce. Pour sauce over wings and let them sit for a few minutes then toss to make sure they're all coated.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    I like Franks Red Hot and apricot jam/jelly.
    @hondabbq I borrowed your idea.  Made some sauce on the fly with about equal amounts Frank's and apricot jam; added a little honey and some more hot pepper to kick up the heat.  Came out very good.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.