Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cedar plank cooking

Options
Dos Huevos
Dos Huevos Posts: 368
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was talking to my boss about cedar planking some fresh fish he brought back from the gulf, and I mentioned picking up a two pack of those cedar planks at harry's for 12 bucks.[p]He replied that he didn't do that. He bought an 8 foot long (six inch wide) cedar board from home depot for 6 bucks and cut it down to one foot segments and used it for cooking. [p]Is there any reason not to do this (as long as you know that the wood isn't treated with chemicals)?

Comments

• Super Glide
    Options
    Dos Huevos,[p]As long as its not treated or stained, its just fine.[p]Cedar is great, but for Salmon, try Alder. They don't have it at the depot, and unless you live in the northwest, you'll have to buy a BBQ pack, but I got a 4 pack at my grill store for about $15.[p]Alder is REALLY nice for salmon.
  • Joshua Kane
    Options
    Dos Huevos,[p]I did something similar. I read the Bobby Flay book. boy meets grill, and he suggests getting a package of cedar shingles. I picked up a pack with bout 30 of them for 10 bucks.[p]-- Joshua[p]
  • Superglide,
    I'm intrigued but I have a few questions;
    1. What's the difference in a $3 piece of alder bought from a lumber yard and the $40 models from a BBQ store?
    2. Can they be used for fish other than salmon?
    3. Do you line the bottom of the plank with alum foil?

• Super Glide
    Options
    edbro,[p]No Difference at all between the $3 piece of alder bought from a lumber yard and the $40 models from a BBQ store... Though I've never seen any wood planks costing any more than $3-4 a piece at any grill store around here (the alder is $12.99 for a pack of 4 planks). The grill store bought planks are nicely sanded on one side though.[p]On the east coast, we can't get Alder at the local lumberyard, at least I've never seen it, and I do a lot of woodworking. I suppose you could get it at specialty wood shops, but those stores are very expensive too.[p]I remember when my sister lived in Portland OR and I went to visit her. Man, everything in that state is made of Cedar because its so cheap out there. Here in NJ, we use pine for everything because Cedar is so expensive.[p]You can use planks for many kinds of fish, but it works best with a stronger flavored fish like Salmon or trout or swordfish. Delicate flavored fish (like Snapper which is great on the grill) will be overwhelmed by the alder or cedar.[p]And No foil. Lay the fish on the wood and the wood on the grill.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Dos Huevos,
    cedar is cedar is cedar...
    i bought a bound stack of shingles (culled as shims), and when I used the 6 or 8 shingles in needed for my project, i kept the rest and use them for salmon and other fish.[p]i soak them, and snap off the really thin end. they are 16 to 18 inches long to start.[p]now, shingles are definitely ALL alike. they do need to be untreated, un bleached, unfinished, etc.[p]i think i spent $2, and I have a paper grocery bag full left over.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    stike,
    wooops.
    meant shingles are definitley NOT all alike.[p]don't go gettin poisoned on my account!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante