Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chemical smell

Been egging a while now, just signed up. About a month ago I noticed a burning chemical smell coming from the egg, even ruined a meal. I figured it was the gasket burning. Thus I went out and bought the "high heat gasket" from BGE at my nearest dealer. Removed the old and cleaned off the old adhesive with some acetone. I then installed the new one and let it sit a day before my next cook. Problem went away and I was happy again. However, it seems to be creeping back and I smell it sometimes. Has anyone ever dealt with anything similar? I love my egg, but this is annoying.

Comments

• I haven't had any chemical smell at all but I did change my original gasket since I changed my gasket I haven't cooked yet so we will see the next time I cook 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited October 2013
    What lump are you using? Does it smell like that through the whole cook? It should smell like that the first 5-10 minutes of white smoke. Don't let your meat get anywhere close to that heat... Once the bad white smoke clears, you should see a nice thin/blue smoke coming from the egg that should smell good.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited October 2013
    The scientists will chime in shortly about Vocs and other stuff...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Like said above lump not burning off long enough prior to food being put on will make food taste chemically. Also too much of certain woods like mesquite or hickory can produce a chemical like taste.
  • Just checking--you are not using lighter fluid, correct? 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    ive only noticed a chemical smell from really hot cooks like 900 dome coming from a seasoned gasket so i kind of doubt its the gasket. chicken grease can show up a s an off smell if a prior cook was chicken. cowboy lump has an awful smell at start up that can continue into the cook, are you using cowboy lump
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    several good questions raised already - how about another...are you using a grease soaked plate sitter in there during any of those times?  
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I thought village idiot farted... :-SS
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • None of these seem to hit the nail not he head. Possibly the lump, but the smell lingers after the cook when everything has cooled down.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Could be bad smoke.  For example, if you fill the egg up with lump, light it all on fire, then dial it back to 250 F, you're going to get bad smoke for a long time as a massive amount of burning lump chokes from low oxygen.
    If you have had the egg for a while, I 'd suggest doing a clean burn.  I was occasionally getting some nasty smell on medium heat cooks.  I did a clean burn and got rid of some of the build up on the egg and that seemed to clear it up.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Are you using a nest? Or some other stand?

If a nest does it have the black rubber protectors? I noticed a similar smell after a high heat cooked a traced it back to these rubber bumpers.