Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to NYC Manhattan this weekend. Eating suggestions?

Staying in lower Manhattan in the West Village.  Any recommendations on good spots to eat that aren't too high brow?  Last time I went we went to this amazing Korean BBQ place Fatty Crab... can't wait to go back. 

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    You ever make it to McSorley's Old Ale House? It's in the East Village and a really cool place for great beer and pub food with interesting history.  Not quite the eating suggestion but worth a visit if you've never been.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • if you want BBQ in Manhattan I recomend  Virgil's I think it's on 46th street just off Time square  if you want Italian in midtown I would go to Carmines also on 46th street just off Time square or you can go down town to little Italy and try Angelo's on Mulberry St. the address is 146 Mulberry St the phone # is (212)966-1277
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • I did so research and Carmines is on 44th street the address is 200 west 44th street and Virgil's BBQ is also on 44th St. the address is 152 west 44th St.
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Sbarro. Michael Scott's favorite pizza joint in NYC.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• If you want BBQ, Myron Mixon just opened up Pride and Joy.  I would try that.  After that, I would go to Blue Smoke.  To be honest, the BBQ is not great in NYC.  I have not been to Pride and Joy yet, but I can't image Myron Mixon would put out a bad product.

If you want pizza, I would go to Lombardi's on Spring Street, which is the oldest pizza place in the city.

There is also a great BYOB French Restaurant (If you are into that) called La Sirene.  

There is also a really good Cuban Restaurant in the area you are staying called Havana Alma de Cuba.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • Thanks for the recommendations everyone!  Exactly what I was looking for.  I am all about ethnic foods... ribs and cheeseburgers are great but I love Asian, Italian, Mexican, Thai, Middle Eastern, etc.  I am pumped and will try to hit all the spots!  @Charlesmaneri thanks for doing that research.  I'll let you know how it goes!

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• Haha @Chris_Wang -   Sbarro is the pinnacle of the pizza culinary experience.  Love that show...

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• if you like ethnic then you should try ethiopian  food there are 2 that I go to  the 1st is Meskerem the address is 124 Mac Dougal St. the phone # is 212-777-8111 the 2nd is also Meskerem and the address is 468 47th St. phone is 212-664-0520 I go their often and I highly recommend them 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Last time I was in NY Shanghai Asian Manor on Mott St was the standout. The service was spotty at best, but the soup dumplings were worth it.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Thanks for the suggestions guys!!

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Carnegie Deli and order the Woody Allen.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Whenever I am in Manhattan I go to Babbo for the tasting menu and wine flight. Not cheap but it is actually a good deal for Manhattan. It is a Mario Batali restaurant and is always fantastic. Not BBQ but last time we did have a grilled guinea hen breast that was excellent.
  • Before we went last year to visit our daughter during an internship up there, I searched for hole in the wall restaurants.  We did eat at Carmine's as recommended by someone else, very good family style and reasonable price (and not hole in wall, just mentioning it since someone else liked it too).  Favorite hole in wall spot I found was Cafe Habana--touted as having best Cuban Sandwiches and best Mexican Street Corn.  Hole in the wall tiny place, we had to get take out and eat outside (take out counter is just around corner from tiny sit down part)--it was fantastic.  There are benches nearby to sit.  I tried to recreate the cubans and street corn--here is my old post on other forum with pics and recipes:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1260730&catid=1#

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    My favorite thing to do in NYC is to fly to Austin and eat BBQ. ;)

(Just feelin snarky today - sorry)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Hot dog and gyro cart outside the Hilton Midtown
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • @SmokinTiger81 that's right up my alley.  Love the little hole in the wall "joints".  That was quite a lot of work that went into recreating the sandwiches.  They look amazing.  I'm also going to seek out food trucks!  By the way, as a Gamecock fan myself I've got to hand it to the tigers man.  You guys are looking STOUT this year.  Mr Boyd and Mr Watkins put on quote the show.  Good luck with the rest of the season.  I hope we can put up a decent fight at the end of the season!

@thetrim Absolutely!

@sumoconnell - My sister and her husband are going to Austin next week for their one year wedding anniversary.  I'm jealous.. hear the BBQ there is outstanding. 

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• @tailwind--I forgot, the other hole in wall place i liked was Pomme Frites.  It is a belgium french fry joint with all these incredible sauces.  Not a full meal place, but great between breakfast and a larger dinner.  Here is link--they serve the fries in paper cones and you sit at tables with holes drilled in them to hold the fries.  Website here:

http://www.pommesfrites.ws/

Holding off on too much trash talking until later in the year, we are 4 hawkin years in a row behind right now.

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    edited October 2013
    +1 on Meskerem. You might want to stay out of Times Sq and venture further afield. Flushing Queens for Chinese. Arthur Ave in the Bronx for Italian. Jackson Heights for Indian. Korean BBQ on West 32nd st. All of ninth Ave.
    Mamaroneck
  • Thanks for all the advice.  What a great community...!!!

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Tailwind said:

@SmokinTiger81 that's right up my alley.  Love the little hole in the wall "joints".  That was quite a lot of work that went into recreating the sandwiches.  They look amazing.  I'm also going to seek out food trucks!  By the way, as a Gamecock fan myself I've got to hand it to the tigers man.  You guys are looking STOUT this year.  Mr Boyd and Mr Watkins put on quote the show.  Good luck with the rest of the season.  I hope we can put up a decent fight at the end of the season!

@thetrim Absolutely!

@sumoconnell - My sister and her husband are going to Austin next week for their one year wedding anniversary.  I'm jealous.. hear the BBQ there is outstanding. 

Cool trip ! The Austin city limits music festival is going on, should be fun.

On nyc, I've always wanted to try peter lugers, they are always on food network for great steaks.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • This place looks pretty good and I think they got some pretty good reviews from the NYT.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Might just be the best fake menu ever:

• And at the risk of further infuriating his evil twin (Nola, has the photographic evidence) here is the real NYT review of Guy's American Kitchen:
  • now for real- Like mama said- go to Korea town. Go to Don's Bogam and dig in. We were the only non-Koreans in the joint the night we went. Awesome Korean BBQ

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    We're going in 2 weeks and have dinner reservations at the following:

Peter Luger Steakhouse
    Scarpetta
    Buttermilk Channel

We're going to hit up all the awesome quick stuff during the day.  Can't wait to go!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Tony Denapoli's (spelling)? Great Italian family style restaurant.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Tony Denapoli's (spelling)? Great Italian family style restaurant.

love that place. come hungry though. each portion is enough for 3 people
  • HighWay
    HighWay Posts: 19

Should be a short walk from the West Village.

Vietnamese Restaurant

Saigon Shack

114 MacDougal St

Good food, great for a lunch stop

Charlotte, NC LBGE