Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Emile Henry has landed!!!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum

UPS just dropped it off and it is a thing of beauty! Those who bought it the other day won't be disappointed! 
Expertly packed for those who said an earlier version was poorly packed for mailing. This would have passed the gorilla bean bag toss test!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Looks nice!
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    My three were on the front door when I got home
    XL BGE
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    What's that made of, and dare I ask how much?
    Dunedin, FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited October 2013
    yzzi said:
    What's that made of, and dare I ask how much?

It is a glazed stone made in France of natural material. Amazon sells it for $50, but their "over stocked seller arm" named WOOT sold them the other day for $19.99 plus $5 shipping. I had posted a heads up the other morning and a bunch of us jumped on the offer. The offer is over, but if you want to read about the product this link should work... http://www.amazon.com/Emile-Henry-Flame-Pizza-Stone/dp/B003UI8B2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380759563&sr=8-1&keywords=emil+henry+pizza+stone
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Looks like a quality addition to the arsenal
    Albion, PA
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Woot sells them on their app often for that price.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I saw those on woot! but I have enough pizza/baking stones to open a pizzeria.  Let us know if they are durable or not.  Purdy lookin', that fo sho.
  • fadax
    fadax Posts: 32
    Ron,
    thanks for post this !
    This pizza stone fit in the large egg ?
    Fausto

P.S.
    thanks again for the gasket.
    Milano-ITALY
  • It should fit the large with no problem. The BGE stone is 14" this one is 14.5". I have plenty of room with the BGE stone.
    Southern Indiana
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited October 2013
    In the FWIW department be careful of using excessive heat with this stone. This is a great stone for indoor baking. I loved the fact that it was good looking (good enough looking to serve off of), had handles and was easy to clean. After around a year of use in my indoor oven at 400 to 450 degrees, it looked as good as the day I bought it. Most indoor ovens don't go higher than 550 degrees and I think at these temps it would last virtually forever.

When I got my Egg and attempted my first pizza I was shooting for 650 degrees. Warming up the Egg for 30 minutes with the EH stone inside, I overshot a little bit getting up to around 725 or so. I quickly got it back down to 650, but after baking my pizza I noticed some damage to the stone. There were several "blisters" where the surface of the stone had bubbled up a little, forming several 1/4" bubbles. These went back down when the stone had cooled. There were two areas about 1" long that appeared along the top edge where the surface material seemed like it was starting to split and was on the verge of cracking. The surface material never did crack all the way through, and like the bubbles the appearance improved when the stone had cooled. Now this could have been a problem with mine, I am not sure. In re-reading the directions there was no upper limit mentioned. It just said the stone could be used under the broiler or at very high oven temps.

I retired my EH stone for outdoor usage and bought a BGE stone for the Egg. The EH stone is now used only indoors at 450 or less. The bubbles haven't reappeared and the edge damage hasn't gotten any worse. Perhaps someone on this board knows what "very high" temperatures actually means and can shed some light on it. Like I said it is also possible my stone was not glazed properly and this wasn't typical. I am just throwing this out there FWIW. Your mileage may vary.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @jfm0830 Thanks for the tip. I have one on the way (may already be there, traveling for work) and I'll reserve it for bread and cookies.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mine just arrived. The box says it's good to 750 degrees.

Dallas Texas