Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Slicer recommendation?

CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,515
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to get a slicer, but can't justify the bucks for a commercial grade unit. Want to slice for Sammie's: london brdoil, turkey breast, etc. See quite a few under $100, but wonder if that is too cheap for a decent unit. Ease of cleaning seems to be a key point. Any recommendations?
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY
·

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 6,930
    Sharp knife is a good start...

;)
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    Get a Chinese knock-off of a commercial slicer.  Smitty has a pretty good, cheap one, don't know which one that is, but something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Cheese-Slicer-Premium-Quality/dp/B002SMC1ZU/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1380770741&sr=8-20&keywords=food+slicer

·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,661
    Chefs choice from William and Sonoma. Very pleased but its $300.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • I was faced with the same questions.  I decided to buy the best I could for a couple hundred bucks.   We use it at the shop 3-4 times a year and that import slicer (like featured in the link above) seems like a good deal for our uses.   Nothing better then thinly sliced prime rib sandwiches.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926

We have the Chef's Choice 615. It has worked pretty well for us. Done some turkey breasts and pit beef and other things. I thought we would use it more, but since I am trying to keep my carb intake down, I've pretty much stopped eating sandwiches for lunch so I quit making lunch meat. Need to get it out and use it more.imageimage

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • MrossMross Posts: 335
    I have had 2 of the cheap plastic made slicers and they absolutely suck. They do not cut uniform deli thin slices. Spend the extra and get an all metal slicer.
    Duncan, SC
    ·
  • RaymontRaymont Posts: 317
    I recommend you look buy used from Craigslist. I first went the route you are thinking of.. The $100 new one and let's face it, the motor and other components are cheap. I burnt the motor on second use. So I then found a used Chef's Choice 662 for $150 on craigslist (they are $500 new). It makes slicing so easy, as thin as you want.. "cuts through like warm butta"...

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

·
  • I also have a Chef's Choice 662, great slicer but they're not cheap. They are also not easy to clean, but they work like a charm. I really can't remember of anyone buying a cheap slicer and being happy with them, for what's it worth.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    ·
  • I'll second @griffin on the 615.  I just used it last night to slice up a chuck rib roast... worked great
    Chicago, Illinois
    ·
    I have the 615 also.  It ain't bad.  My biggest complaint is the thickness knob has a tendency to creep to a thicker setting if you press the food hard against the fence.

·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,515
    I did a quick look on Craigslist, see a Hobart 410 about an hour away for only $100.  Looks like this is a classic workhorse and if it really works is priced $300+ below market.  I am looking into it.  The 615 also looks pretty good for $150 with my Amazon prime.

Thanks all!
    Rochester, NY
    ·
    I'd jump on that if you have the space. 

·
    The W&S model is the 632. I luckily got both blades included and lately have been slicing bread too.

Slicer positives:
    3.99lb turkey breast vs $8 + deli
    $2.99/lb roast beef (u need to cook)
    $7 Costco block of cheese lasting the month.
    Bulk salami lasting forever
    Jerky slicing

No brainer in my book.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,070
    Griffin said:

We have the Chef's Choice 615. It has worked pretty well for us. Done some turkey breasts and pit beef and other things. I thought we would use it more, but since I am trying to keep my carb intake down, I've pretty much stopped eating sandwiches for lunch so I quit making lunch meat. Need to get it out and use it more.imageimage

Interesting, I use the slicer more when I try to limit the carb intake. Sliced meat just plated with some dipping sauce, horseradish for beef, touch of mustard for pork, rather than bread seems to work. Always served with some veggies. 
    I have an old 632, great machine, lasted for years already. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,620
    I have a 615 like Griffs, works great as a household slicer.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,429
    @griffin... Could do lettuce wrapped sandwiches.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • I have had a Krups brand slicer for years.  It is plastic, but will make thin slices.  Not sure if they are still made, but for the small amount of time we use it, we are happy with its function.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·
  • trying to contact this guy - no response.  An Alabama area code, for sale in Austin.  If in good/working condition, is undervalued by about $400-500. Seems legit.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·
    I'll play here some of the roast beef I've done on 632.

imageimage
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,515
    Guy with the $100 hobart has not responded, I guess it is gone
    Rochester, NY
    ·