Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen... justify the cost.

Options

Comments

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    Do they run specials or sales on the thermapen or should I just bite the bullett and get one now?

A couple times a year they'll have an open box sale. It saves a few bucks.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    It's accurate, sturdy, easy to use and makes you a  cooler person.   B-)
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Best accessory I ever bought. Just freakin' do it. You won't be sorry.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Loosemoose
    Options

Do they run specials or sales on the thermapen or should I just bite the bullett and get one now?

A couple times a year they'll have an open box sale. It saves a few bucks.

Thanks Hokie
    Nowhere Indiana
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I paid well over a grand for my egg, table, cover, etc. Another $100 is chump change.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Justacookin
    Options
    My theory you have the best grill on the market why knot the best thermometer they go hand in hand.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Options
    No clue if it's worth it. I bought one a few weeks back and think it's totally worth it. If you're spending a grand plus on a BGE + accessories why would $70-$100 bother you?
    XL BGE
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited October 2013
    Options

I have something called a Flip Tip thermometer that I got as a gift.....think it was at a Christmas party in the Chinese gift exchange.  At any rate, this thing is quick and very accurate against my Maverick and couldn't have been more than $10 or $15 tops.  After having used it, I don't see ever paying $100 for one. 

Just my $.02

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

Usually right after buying one (anything) you will see a special. At least that is how luck runs.

But they do have refurbished and other sales from time to time.

• Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    Bought a thermapen 2 years before I bought I my egg. Use it all the time inside and out. Last year I felt ill, checked my own temp very quickly--really wish that was a joke.... Buy one. It's a lifesaver...
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Tackman said:
    Bought a thermapen 2 years before I bought I my egg. Use it all the time inside and out. Last year I felt ill, checked my own temp very quickly--really wish that was a joke.... Buy one. It's a lifesaver...

Orally I assume...LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HorseMover
    HorseMover Posts: 174
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Tackman said:

Oral or rectal?  :P
    Albion, PA
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    After buying a Thermapen my handicap dropped by two strokes.  Coincidence?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    Wrapped it in Saran Wrap, checked both orifices-- just to be certain. Nothing wrong with that. Right? Moral of the story. NEVER BUY A USED THERMAPEN!!!!
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    I don't own a themapen, but I am very much interested in buying one.  Nonetheless, I do understand the reluctance.  I've felt it myself--it's the reason I don't own one yet.  I get my reads from a thermoworks thermometer that gives me the temp in 6 seconds.  That's pretty darn close to the thermapen's 3 seconds, and it only cost me $19.95.  Still, the outrageous praise the thermapen gets here has me wondering whether that extra 3 seconds amounts to a disproportionate increase in food quality.  I'll probably end up buying one and finding out soon enough.
    I was in your exact shoes. I now have a thermapen, but don't feel like I made a considerable jump vs. the rt600c. I would wait for someone to give you one as a gift or something. I have a fair bit of buyer's remorse re: the thermapen. I don't deep fry anything, and not that much of a connoisseur of teas, etc, so maybe I have more limited uses for a thermapen.

I'm a bit of a cheapskate, so again the 75% in savings of the rt600c over the thermapen is nothing to sneeze at. Much of what people have mentioned above has more to do with having a reliable thermometer which can give you a pretty quick reading (which the rt600c is) rather than having the thermapen specifically. Comparing the thermapen to the thermometers  available at HD/Lowes is quite different from comparing the thermapen and the rt600c.

My $0.02.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    I am fairly sure some of you guys and gals would easily be more offended if I talked bad about your Thermapan than if I talked bad about your momma.   :P   B-)   I love it.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I probably cook $2-3K worth of meats and other foods a year.  I like the fast response.  I don't just take one reading, I stab the meat all over to get a profile of how it's cooking and re-adjust it so it cooks more evenly/better.  I think it's worth it if you take a lot of readings all over the meat and you don't mind the extra cost, or if you're a professional chef.   If you just stick a Maverick probe in or take one or two readings, there's no need for that speed and the $20 instant reads are perfectly fine.
    Options

Yes they run specials!  For some strange reason, they have a "sale" on the brown every few months.  They have done it twice now in about 3 months and grabbed one for $85 vs the $96 for any color...if $11 makes you want to wait.  I have seen them cheaper but there seems to be a catch on shipping when I see someone with them for less, so it really isn't less after all.
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Reminds me of the "brown Zunes" on woot days of old....
    i agree with Orthobear i just spent $150 bucks on toys yikes SWMBOis not going to like that.. O well 
    Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    It is the thermometer the health department uses when they go to check the temp. of steam table and salad bars.
  • 3sheets
    3sheets Posts: 81
    Options
    I cook steaks caveman style and then use a thermapen. Is that legal?

Location 33.537588, -83.969298 (33.5 miles and 41 minutes SE of the Mothership)

• wmcguire93
    Options
    Dang, I step away from the internet for a couple of days and the thread blows up.

Thanks for all the feedback.  A lot of good points about making sure you don't over cook a really good piece of meat.  It's easy to do if you not careful.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• wmcguire93
    Options
    PS:  Should have mentioned, cheaper than a Johnny Manziel autograph too

:))Touche
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Just buy the damn thing . Orange is by far the fastest.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I like mine, its very useful, but now I want one with the back light since its getting darker earlier this time of year.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Or just put a light somewhere on your grill....I like to see what's going on as well as the temp. ;)
    Options
    If you get on their email list they will notify you when they are having discounts.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Referring to a Thermapen as a thermometer is like referring to the BGE as a charcoal grill.  You get what you pay for. I don't think that I could cook a ribeye without a TP, and I cooked nine for a party last month all came out great and the speed of the temp reading was critical.  Now go online and place your order and make sure to get a backlit one.
    Milton, GA.
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    td66snrf said:

If you get on their email list they will notify you when they are having discounts.

Thanks, I just ordered an rt600c for now and got on their email list.
    I am sure my next one will be a thermapen. I am taking delivery of a new hot tub tomorrow so I decided to save a few bucks for now.
    Nowhere Indiana