Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tandoori Chicken Results - Pics

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Technique seemed to work well. However, not happy with the marinade. The chicken texture was great, but distinct tandoori flavor was lacking. So, I get to try again! Here are some pics; rice, cucumber, etc was courtesy of SWMBO prepared inside. Naan was provided by my neighbor done on a cast iron skillet inside using a dutch oven lid directly on top of the naan.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    It looks great!
    You may want to marinate the chicken overnight to get the flavour to the bone.
    Keep on mixing it up!
  • DMW
    Options
    @Trini_in_Ottawa That's the thing, it was marinating about 24 hrs. I think we need to try different spice mix...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    DMW said:

@Trini_in_Ottawa That's the thing, it was marinating about 24 hrs. I think we need to try different spice mix...

Agreed. Seems a shame after 24 hour marinate the flavour did not pop!
    Did you make the marinate or was it store bought?
  • DMW
    Options
    Store bought seasoning packets mixed with Greek yogurt. I think I need to look for an Indian grocery and get spices and mix my own. Someone recommend tandoori paste mixed with yogurt, need to find that. Also, I noticed the marinade seemed really thin and a bit watery when I was skewering the chicken. SWMBO followed the instructions on the seasoning, so not sure, but want to try something different next time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Looks great! I'm sure our resident tandoori guru @caliking will chime in.
    To kick up the commercial tandoori mix a notch, I add lemon juice and minced fresh garlic and ginger.  I also use strainer with coffee filter to remove excess liquid from the yogurt.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @DMW - chicken looks good! Sounds like your setup worked well.

I'm not a fan of the tandoori pastes. They don't taste that good IMO. If you have an Indian/Pakistani grocery store near you look for Shan mix http://www.amazon.com/Shan-Chicken-Tikka-BBQ-Masala/dp/B000MSS6C4They are usually $2-$3 per box in stores. I have even found them at my local Kroger sometimes. With the dry mix, you can make the marinade as thick or as runny as you like, plus you can make it spicy or mild according to taste.

My usual MO is to add as much dry spice mix for the amountof chicken I'm cooking, along with 1-2 tbsp each of mayonnaise, yogurt, ginger paste, and garlic paste. I don't like the texture of the meat after marinating overnight (the yogurt turns it into mush), so I marinate for 4-6hours now.

If you want to make your spice mix, search for chicken tikka recipes also - tandoori chicken and chicken tikka are close to being the same thing. Don't add red food coloring like some recipes ask you to do - the red color of tandoori chicken comes from Kashmiri peppers (I think paprika is the closest thing) not from adding food color. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Your apron is awesome.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• caliking
    Options
    Oh, and your pics are pretty amazing too!

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Options
    That was awesome Calking!!!! Thanks for sharing.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • DMW
    Options
    @caliking Thanks so much for the tips there, especially on the red coloring. I was really tempted tonight to add food coloring next time just because I like the red color on tandoori for some reason. I will avoid the coloring.

And thanks for the comment on the pics, though I didn't take them. ;) My neighbor shot them with my Canon T3 using one of her lenses. She is semi-pro, shoots weddings, family photos, etc.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks really, really good. Bummer it didn't have the flavor you were looking for. Sweet apron. I was wondering about the set up you used, but did a search and found your previous post about your set up. Looks like it worked out pretty well.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I agree with @caliking about using Shan mix. Here's what I normally do for tandoori chicken:

1-2 pounds Chicken thighs or breasts sliced deep every couple inches
    - 5-6 tablespoons yogurt (one for each piece of chicken, plus one or two extra)
    - 4-5 tablespoons ginger/garlic paste
    - ¼ cup lemon/lime juice
    - 1-2 tablespoons garam masala
    - ½ package of tandoori masala
    - 1 teaspoon salt to taste
    - Couple tablespoons of white vinegar

The key on marinading is scoring the skin nearly to the bone so that the marinade penetrates much better.
    Dunedin, FL
  • caliking
    Options
    I agree with @yzzi on most points, except the skin. Tandoori chicken is never cooked with the skin-on - that's a Western thing. In India/Pakistan/Bangladesh chicken is always cooked/grilled skinless.

Scoring the meat down to the bone is key though, and really helps the marinade get deeper in. I would suggest trying the Shan first, then seeing how you like it with any extras (garam masala, salt, etc.)

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Yeah @caliking, you're right on that, I meant score the meat, not skin. And probably a good call on holding off on garam masala, especially since my wife says the chicken is usually too hot. The heat is mostly in the mix, but the garam masala will definitely add some more bite to it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    caliking said:
    I agree with @yzzi on most points, except the skin. Tandoori chicken is never cooked with the skin-on - that's a Western thing. In India/Pakistan/Bangladesh chicken is always cooked/grilled skinless.

Scoring the meat down to the bone is key though, and really helps the marinade get deeper in. I would suggest trying the Shan first, then seeing how you like it with any extras (garam masala, salt, etc.)

Really not hard to make your own tandoori masala. Just pulled this off the net. I don't really care for the dish (I love everything in Indian cuisine, I should say I don't care for it enough to order from a menu instead of something else or take it at a buffet and lose the stomach room to eliminate me having lamb goat or fish). When I cook Indian I always toast the seeds, pods, roots or bark and grind the spice myself.

1 teaspoon garlic powder (Lasun)

1 teaspoon ground ginger (Adrak) 1 teaspoon ground cloves (Lavang) 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg (Jaiphal) 1 teaspoon mace (Javitri) 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin (Jeera) 2 tablespoons ground coriander (Dhania) 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek (Methi) 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (Tuj or Dalchini) 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (Kalimirchi) 1 teaspoon ground brown cardamom (Elaichi) 1 teaspoon red food coloring                     

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Watch this for some pointers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCODeJt9gvc
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the tips, will try again in a couple weeks.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Options
    Do you just put the skewers across the felt gasket?