Well I tried a friends advice tonight since I got home early enough.
Wife picked up a nice NY strip for me and a filet for her and a filet for my 8 year old daughter (how many 8 year olds get filet mignon).
- Coated the steaks liberally with kosher salt let sit fr ~ 20 min
- egg up to 500
- Put the steaks on the cast iron grate thick side up (sorry did not have a small enough cast iron pan - yet) for 45 seconds a side hen pulled
- closed he egg down some to get the temp to 425
- placed the steaks back on raised direct
- pulled my Ny strip at 120, daughters filet at 130 and the wife's 135-140 in spots
Let rest for 5 minutes each.
daughters - perfect medium
Wife's - came out medium rare even at 135-140 (see pic)
Mine - excellent
Served mine wih some Brussels sprouts with bacon an a glass of homemade Chilean Malbec
Just need to figure out what went wrong wih the filet
Thanks all and THANK YOU MICKEY
LBGE, Adjustable Rig, Spider, High-Que grate, maverick ET-732, Thermapen,