Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NY strip and filet - thanks Mickey

Well I tried a friends advice tonight since I got home early enough.

Wife picked up a nice NY strip for me and a filet for her and a filet for my 8 year old daughter (how many 8 year olds get filet mignon).

- Coated the steaks liberally with kosher salt let sit fr ~ 20 min
- egg up to 500
- Put the steaks on the cast iron grate thick side up (sorry did not have a small enough cast iron pan - yet) for 45 seconds a side hen pulled
- closed he egg down some to get the temp to 425
- placed the steaks back on raised direct
- pulled my Ny strip at 120, daughters filet at 130 and the wife's 135-140 in spots

Let rest for 5 minutes each.

daughters - perfect medium
Wife's - came out medium rare even at 135-140 (see pic)
Mine - excellent

Served mine wih some Brussels sprouts with bacon an a glass of homemade Chilean Malbec

Just need to figure out what went wrong wih the filet

Thanks all and THANK YOU MICKEY

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Freakin sweet
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Don't think anything went wrong with meal...

Well played!
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Hopefully you got what you were looking for! Looks perfect from here.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    That meal looks outstanding. Way to go
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Looks great Rob, hope your feeling better about your cooking!
    Way to help out @Mickey
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Good work, and a tip of the hat to the instructor. Another step forward.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    My only issue was the Filet was way underdone for what I was shooting for.  Wife did not eat most of it as she wanted it medium well.  I probed it with the thermapen and it was reading 135-140 all over.  I guess next time take it to 150+?

Garnerville, NY
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    If you want a filet that size medium well you may as well butterfly the steak. It will take a pretty long time to cook that thick a steak to medium well.
    Medium well temp is 150 to 155.
    Duncan, SC
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Mross said:
    If you want a filet that size medium well you may as well butterfly the steak. It will take a pretty long time to cook that thick a steak to medium well.
    Medium well temp is 150 to 155.
    Agree, if you are going to sear then roast to finish.
    A couple of years ago, started using a reverse sear to get around exactly this issue. SWMBO likes hers at almost 160, well done, but not burned. using a reverse sear with the indirect at 250º, her fillet goes on 10-15 minutes before mine. When mine reaches an IT of 115º, I pull them both - never check her's 'cause it really doesn't matter - it will be done. Sear them both for same 30-60 seconds per side and serve.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    The NY strip was fine.  It was a smaller Filet - third pic.

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    the smaller fillet probably didnt have enough mass for carryover temps to rise. the bigger the piece of meat the more carry over in temps as it rests. similar to a big turkey that needs a long rest and will rise as much as 20 degrees over an hour resting on the table verse a ching thigh thats dropping in temps after 10 minutes. now i never cook a steak to med/well, but thinking about it, maybe sear foil and toss it back on at the lower grill, my thinking is that it will cook faster in the foil and maybe stay juicey or atleast collect some juice to put back on it when done
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it