Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok question.

Options
SickEyeDiaz
SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have a Nordic Wear wok. The pre-seasoned kind as you can see in this pic.

I don't know much about metals. Can I use this type of wok on the BGE with high temps or is it not designed for that?

I really want to do some wok cooking and would rather not have to buy a new one if I don't have to.

Also, instead of buying a spider, would it work just the same to put a grid close to the lump and cook on that?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    VI will be along shortly to get you on the right path. I think you'll want the spider though.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I have a friend who is excellent at metal work who could probably easily make me a spider if someone could give me some type of blueprint or list of dimensions for a large  :-$  ^:)^
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    If you already have your wok, I'd use it.  If you didn't, I'd probably try to steer you in a different path.  If you don't use a spider, it would be helpful to use a wok ring to keep it stable during your cook. 

As you get in to it, there are many, many more aspects you will want to explore.  I helped Richard Fl come up with a check list on stir frying, and I'm sure he'll chime in on his link.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    So the high temps won't be a problem with the one I have? 

I just don't want to cook something in it if it's going to release chemicals into the food due to the high temps.

I was watching youtube videos last night of guys cooking with a wok on the BGE and also asian chefs cooking on them in a kitchen. I really want to get into it as I love chinese and really want to try making authentic tasting chinese dishes like fried rice.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated!
  • SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    And to those who wok on the Egg...which type of wok do you prefer, the one handle or two handle kind?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Not so sure I'd do this. The Nordic Ware Wok I had (few years ago - so maybe they've changed) was a non-stick interior with a coat of enamel or porcelain on the outside and had the same stainless band on the handle. The exterior fared alright on my propane burner, the seasoned inside, not so much. It peeled off and exposed the metal underneath, which looked like aluminum. The steel ones are OK but I think you will pretty much ruin the pan with the egg's much harder to control high heat. 

Again, I defer to the experts. I do not wok on my egg, it is too slow or too fast and very hard to get the temp right (for me). Like Nola, the propane street burner is ideal. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Oops.  I didn't know the Nordic had a teflon coating.  I will not use teflon (or equivalent).  A 16" carbon steel wok is less than $30 so you're not going to go broke buying one.  As far as a handle, I have both kinds and I use both.  I move the food around with a spatula while cooking, so, for me, the handle isn't much use except for putting the wok on and off the fire.  As long as you're buying, I'd get a spider.  Perfect fit for a wok, and I also use it to raise the grid on grilling cooks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    New Chinese cookbook:  101 ways to Wok your dog.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You'll need to be a disciplined grasshopper to keep the temp below 500F where teflon is well on it's way to degrading.  If you wok the way I wok, which is wok hei, I'd not use it because the coating will be destroyed by the high heat. 

But I'm of the camp that thinks it's silly to waste all that expensive lump heating up a wok when I can use a $35 propane burner for turkey frying.
    I broke down and ordered a proper wok and the spider last night. May as well do it right!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited October 2013
    Options

The wok you pictured may be called a wok, but to my eyes the sides are very steep and as been mentioned the finish would not probably last long.  Before your PROPER wok arrives you might like to look at the attached movie and then after it is seasoned WOK AWAY! IMHO the Wok Shop in San Francisco has a great video on how to properly season a wok.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1277637&catid=1

How to season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNPe5-swL-k

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Since seasoning has been mentioned, it should be noted that the purpose of seasoning is not to make it black and non-stick.  That will come soon with use.  The purpose is to take the metallic taste out of the wok.  The new carbon steel would give out a taste in your food without the initial seasoning.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    Got the spider in the mail today. As an added bonus...the pizza stone that came with the charcoal grill I got a couple years ago fits perfectly in the spider, so I can use that as a heat deflector if I need to.

Really hoping the wok comes tomorrow.

Quick question if anyone happens to read this. I got a wood handled wok...can I season it inside my oven without worrying about anything happening to the wood? Please excuse my ignorance on these matters! 
    8-}
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Are you sure the handle isn't removable? If not you can protect the handle wrapping it with a damp cloth & covering with foil. The process is shown in the Wok Shop seasoning video posted by Richard Fl above.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I will reiterate what I said in another thread.  The purpose of seasoning is to remove the chemicals on the wok as shipped.  You are not trying to make it black and nonstick.  That comes from cooking with the wok.  I think people get confused with seasoning cast iron.  This is carbon steel.  You do not have to put your wok in the oven.

See Grace Young's video.  She is the undisputed guru of Chinese cooking in the U.S., and is the author of Breath Of A Wok and Stir Fry To The Sky's Edge.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    Thanks for the video Village Idiot. I actually seasoned it in the oven, and then seasoned it like she recommended in the video!

So here's my first wok attempt on the BGE:

I took pics along the way, but I may as well just show the end result. Smells great and I'm about to dig in!

Thanks for all the advice to everyone in this thread! 
    :D