Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

East Coast IPA

Being from SoCal I have plenty of access to West Coast IPA's and it's hard to find a good craft brew East Coast IPA.  Is there anyone on the East Coast interested in exchanging some local favorites?
Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
Orange, CA

Comments

• Are you looking for anything in particular? not sure what I get that you wouldn't be able to get. (Pennsylvania)

I live about a mile from Victory(but I'm sure you can get that), We also have Southern Tier and Troegs <-- one of my favorite breweries.

Aurora,OH
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    I'm not familiar with any of the small breweries on the east coast.  Both Southern Tier and Troegs aren't available here in CA. The brews all look similar to the flavor profiles we get here.  I just hear so much talk about East  Coast vs West Coast IPA's so thought I might get to try an East coaster and see if there is any difference between the two.  Plus fun to trade brew that aren't available locally.
    Orange, CA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Dogfish Head? They are in DE. PErhaps Flying Dog? They are in MD but used to be based out of Boulder, CO.

I don't know about many differences. I have access to quite a few west coast craft brews and flavor profiles are relatively similar. It's typically special editions that show differences.
  • BREWnQ
    I've had the dogfish head but really I think that's about all that we have here.  I've been looking at some east coast breweries and their beers and looks like they're all very similar to what we have here. I guess I just thought there would be more of a difference.  I was curious what an IPA that was spicy, woody or earthy tasted like.  All the descriptions that I've seen sound similar; pine, citrus, and floral seem to be the  most common. 
    Orange, CA
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited September 2013
    Here is what I can get easily: 
    Victory Hopdevil
    Victory DirtWolf (IIPA) limited release.
    Ithaca Flower Power (really good, but I think this would be up there with west coast IPAs)
    Bell's Two Hearted Ale (midwest IPA)
    Appalachian Brewing Hoppy Trails
    Souther Tier IPA and Unearthly IIPA both very good
    Dogfish 60 minute, I have one 90 minute IPA on hand.
    Troegs Perpetual IPA
    Yards IPA (english Pale, not similar to west coast)

I have a couple more to list I just have to jog my memory for a bit :)

One of the best east coat IPAs  would be heady topper, but I can only get that one when my wife travels to Vermont. It is probably one of the best beers I ever had.

Aurora,OH
  • HorseMover
    HorseMover Posts: 174
    edited September 2013

Fat Head's Head Hunter is a great IPA ^:)^

They do label it as a West Coast style IPA though

Albion, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    Which Dogfish?(60, 90, 120 minute)

Maybe Victory Hop Devil as stated above, Heady Topper(snowball's chance in Hell getting this), Weyerbacher Last Chance, Heavy Seas Loose Cannon, Flying Dog Raging **** and Troegs Perpetual IPA. Great Lakes out of Cleveland has some nice ones too.
  • BREWnQ
    I'd love to try the hopdevil, two hearted and the perpetual IPA.  

Here are the breweries that are local to me.

Ballast Point - Sculpin is outstanding
    Stone Brewing -  Arogant Bastard is what everyone talks about.  I dont like it.
    The Bruery - they use Belgium yeast in everything.  
    Hanger 24 - good stuff 
    Ritual - Extra Red is good
    Golden Road - I love Point the Way IPA
    Orange, CA
  • Eggcelsior
    edited September 2013
    Oops, @NervousDad beat me to many. 

+1 on Heady Topper. If you ever visit Vermont, go to the brewery or a restaurant in the Burlington area. One of the best I have had as well.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    +2 on Heady Topper.  I have been to the brewery, that's about the only place you can get it.  Ghandi-Bot from New England Brewing (CT) tastes almost exactly the same, and is more widely available - I can buy it in Rochester NY.  Southern Tier  has some great IPA's, and Ithaca Flower Power is another local fave that is outstanding.

We get a pretty good selection of west coast craft brews here - Ballast Point and Alesmith are readily available as are many others.  Do you have access to anything from Russian River?  that never makes it out here, and I might be interested in a swap.  Whatcha got?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • BREWnQ
    Ballast points pretty big so not surprised you can get that one. I'm not sure about Russian River, if its PTE or PTY no way and even if I could I don't know that I'd be willing to share.  Also there's eagle rock brewing. A lot of the small breweries here don't sell by the bottle. I could get probably fill a growler and rebottle May lose a little carb but will still take old I'm sure.
    Orange, CA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I wouldn't mess with trying to ship a growler across the country, would want something in cans or bottles.  What are your local favorites?  

My taste is not limited to IPA's, also like Porters, Stouts, Saisons, and others, and brew some mighty fine pale ales of my own.  

FYI, I do have some great craft beer stores locally and we get some fairly hard to get brews here, I could get you some good stuff.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • BREWnQ
    I'm not into the big beers much so I can't really give a whole lot of opinion to them. Listed above are the breweries I know sell bottles in the liquor store.also just remembered Coronado brewing and deshutes brewing If you see something from them lemme know and I'll pick it up. I'd love to try a home brew to. Right now I've got a brown and an IPA bottled and ready to ship. They're not the best but they taste like beer.
    Orange, CA