Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My planned tandoori setup

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Here's my planned tandoori setup for tomorrow night's cook. Any thoughts, suggestions to improve? It's an XL and I don't have skewers anywhere close to long enough to reach from the coals through the chimney.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• I don't know how it will work for tandoori but am curious about the skewers.  What length are they and where did you get them.  I'm also wonder if they are long enough to go from the egg felt line to the bottom grate.  I think I saw where someone had a tandoori setup with skewers that went from the bottom to the felt line on a somewhat vertical setup.  Please let us know how it turns out too.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I sometimes use horizontal skewers direct and go 2-3 minutes per side and then flip.  Most chicken takes 5-8 minutes @ 550-650F
  • DMW
    @Richard Fl Wow, seems a lot quicker than I expected. What size should I be cutting the pieces into? I have leg/thigh combos and bone in breasts in marinade now, should I be cutting them into smaller pieces for those times?

Thanks for the input

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    @BobsBGE they are 17", purchased at Amazon.com "Steven Raichlen Best of Barbecue". I haven't used them yet. Not sure how a semi vertical cook like that would work, as I can't see how you could close the lid with the skewers slanted like that, but maybe I'm missing something.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited September 2013

I prefer boneless thighs or breasts.  The thighs have more moisture and flavor IMHO:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=721499&catid=1

For the future if you prefer here is a great set of skewers and great for many dishes:  These are the ones I have settled on:

http://www.sadaf.com/sadaf-bbq-skewer-wide-no-handles-90-7660/

Here are the skewers used in a different manner:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1305801&catid=1

• DMW
    Thanks @Richard Fl those skewers look perfect. Will need to order those.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    edited October 2013

Note that these "Persian" skewers come at different widths. I typically use the wide ones (the one in the link Richard posted) for ground beef (see the recipe in Richard's post) and the medium ones for chicken. It all depends on how big and thick the chicken pieces are.

I prefer metal skewers for chicken and ground beef because the heat from metal cooks the meat from inside as well. I am reluctant to use them for shish-kebab (for exactly the same reason!).

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I like using the Persian style flat skewers which are about 1" wide. Very versatile for ground meats, boneless chicken or pieces on the bone. The 1" wide ones work well for different types of kababs. They are also available at many mid-eastern grocers.

I think your setup should work. However, may I suggest that you don't cook at 650°F ish the first time around? Tandoors get very hot (800°F+) but they also have a greater distance between the coals and the meat. Consider trying a temp of 450-500°F. I prefer cooking pieces on the bone, because i find that I end up losing random bits of meat that straggle off the skewer. I usually buy leg quarters and cut them in 3 pieces - leg and 2 pieces from each thigh. 

Also, wrap the brick in a few layers of HD foil. I've never had a brick shatter yet, but just in case.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Seems like all those skewers would make an obvious gap in the gasket and you might have a jet of heat melting the gasket. Not sure but something to consider.
  • DMW
    @jeroldharter, Considered that, these are flat skewers, and I have a brand new high-heat gasket in packaging waiting for the original to burn out. ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA