Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza dough?

Options
Made dough last Friday.. Forgot it was in the fridge uncovered. Will it be good at this point?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    May be overproofed and maybe a bit dry, but at 3 days, I would certainly give it a go.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    depends on the recipe I suppose, but the doughs I make would not have survived that long.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I'd be worried about the dough being dried out and yeast done producing.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It feels ok..
  • DMW
    Options
    Some pizza doughs are actually better after proofing in the refrigerator for a few days, though covered is recommended. I had a batch that went 3 days, but I covered after about 8 hours. It was fine.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    It all just depends on what percentage of leavening you have in the dough (yeast or starter).  

Think of the leavening as a limited fuel in your dough which is activated by heat and time.  The warmer the dough, the quicker the fuel gets used.  Even in a cold fridge, over time, that fuel will be used. 

If you want to try it, I would reccomend punching it down and then hope there is enough "fuel" for another rise.  
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • henapple
    Options
    I'm hoping for it.. Dominos on standby
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'm hoping for it.. Dominos on standby
    if Dominos is the fall back then stick with your stale dough - can't be any worst than Dominos cardboard crust! LOL -  Seriously though do you have a Papa Murphy's near you? That is a kick butt freshly made and bake at home pizza!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    Options
    I like papa Murphys... Thin crust
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have kept home made dough in the fridge for up to 8 days, but I cover it.  In fact I always make my dough at least 2 days ahead as it actually develops flavor while it rests.   I would not be afraid to use it and the yeast is certainly viable.  If it is not too dry to work into a ball, let it rest at room temp for a couple of hours and then roll it out and go for it.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited September 2013
    Options
    try a very small one in a toaster oven first. You know, the ones with a small door.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapple
    Options
    Toaster oven? What, I'm 21 years old?
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I normally make my dough the night before and proof it mostly covered in the fridge overnight.  Mostly covered = covered with plastic wrap, with a 1/4" or so edge uncovered, and then covered over with a paper towel.  It works, and it's a big improvement on the original recipe (which was a no knead / no rise, mix it up, let it rest 10 minutes, and make pizza recipe), but I find it still works even better if I have the time, to let it proof at room temp, punch it down, let it rise again, punch it down again, and then use it after a 10min rest.  I usually don't have 3+ hours though to make pizza.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Are you out of PBR's??? Have you stopped drinking??? Quit makin' awesome paella and give your neglected dough a whirl. How bad could it turn out?

Just yankin' yer chain. Seriously though, just try it and see what happens. If nothing else, it'll teach you to not to leave your dough lonely and naked again.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    Options
    They're on
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    And the result was.....................
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I'm betting on a good result. A few days in the fridge should be fine.
    Options
    It was actually really good.. Great taste.
  • DMW
    Options
    Glad to hear you gave it a go and didn't toss it!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA