Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

smoked prime rib

glennglenn Posts: 151
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We go to a little hole in the wall steak house (Colorado's)
which has the best prime rib I have ever ate anywhere
It is hickory smoked and that is all I know about the prep
can anyone out there give me any suggestions on how to smoke a standing rib rost (that is all I can find localy so it is not realy Prime rib ) but is usda choice and it is a three bone approx 6 lbs
I thought a simple rub with Herbs deprovince and olive oil with a little salt and pepper then 2 fist sized chunks of hickory and maybe 225-250 dome temp for around 4 hours or 135 internal to get it medium rare and a 15 minute rest before I cut it.
and I would also like to know how to do the Au juis (sp)
please help if you can
thanks
Glenn

Comments

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,424
    glenn,[p]Sounds like you have a good plan. That is sort of how I like 'em. Here is a link to my standing rib page. Sorry, can't help on the aujus.[p]Happy Trails[p]~thirdeye~
    [ul][li]Standing Rib[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • tach18ktach18k Posts: 1,607
    glenn, I have always did mine at 250 till the center is 125, I remove for about 20 minutes while the Egg gets to sear temps, then I sear to my likeing, let it rest for about10min and cut away. The searing at the end of the cook rather than at the beginning alows me time to pace the rest of the meal. If there is a delay then the searing can wait. But if your roast is done and nothing else is ready.....?

• Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,412
    thirdeye,
    I'm cooking a 4 bone prime rib as soon as the focaccia bread is done. This is my first and I'm using your method. I'm guessing 2 hours to reach 135 internal at 250 dome?
    Clay

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,424
    Clay Q,[p]I don't think it would be any longer than that. It seems that every time I try to guess a time based on weight, I guess too long and they finish early. I wind up wrapping & holding in the cooler a little longer than planned. I pulled one at around 125°, and rested it for 1-1/2 hours in a cooler. I left the probe in and it rose to about 130°, then fell back to 125° before I seared it. No problem.[p]Let us know how yours turns out. Maybe a picture??[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • T-47T-47 Posts: 84
    glenn,
    I cooked this one with great success. Have not tried it on the BGE yet but I am sure it would be a winner!

[ul][li]Herb Crusted Prime Rib[/ul]