Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hique questions

henapplehenapple Posts: 14,596
Since I changed over I seem to be burning more lump. Granted I've been doing pizzas and paella. I also seem to be cleaning out a lot. Might save the q for low and slows.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,473

I never take any of my 3 out of the Eggs. No need. Just don't seem to be a problem. Taking them in and out would be a bear (IMO).

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,596
    Do you have more clean up?
    ·
  • I always use it in my med. love it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Like Travis, in the MBGE. No, I don't use more lump and I do not have to wiggle. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,596
    I love to wiggle.. 6 pbrs and it's on.
    ·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,676
    I thought the answer to this thread would be "5-7-5"

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,473
    Foghorn said:
    I thought the answer to this thread would be "5-7-5"

Check your pills please: blue in the mornings and green at night ( just like VI).
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,676

"...just like VI"

I actually pegged VI as one of the folks here who would appreciate this particular attempt at humor so you may be on to something.

I probably need more pills. 

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,711
    @henapple-have your vent settings changed much?  Air-flow is air flow to drive the fire volume and temperature so I wouldn't expect a change in lump consumption but I don't use the Hi Q so no practical eggsperience.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,805
    edited September 2013
    When I got my High-Q at first I noticed the same thing.  Burnign more lump.  But what I think really happened (at least for me) is that I was lighting the Egg the same and it came up to temp faster (When I light I leave the bottom vent wide open for ~10 minutes) compared to the normal grate and actually over shooting a little before stabilizing out.  Now I light less spots and its all good.

I do also realize that since I run commando (no gasket) I have to adjust the bands in the spring/fall to keep the dome close to closed.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,894
    I don't think you burn any more lump, but you do loose some smaller pieces through the high-que.  The way I see it, those small pieces would have likely clogged up the standard grate so I still prefer it.  If I am feeling miserly I will add some of the small pieces back on top and hope they burn rather than making it through again.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • I Agee with @robnybbq about the fire coming to temp faster. I start to damper mine down a lot quicker than with the OEM grate. I didn't notice any extra lump usage. As far as having to clean out more, I only notice a difference when the lump was a less than stellar bag and had a bunch of smalls. After reading about someone on this forum leaving some ash in to insulate the bottom of the egg some I have quit cleaning out on every cook.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,700
    Leave my q's on both my large and mini all the time.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,284
    ...but you do loose some smaller pieces through the high-que.  

You actually don't "lose" them at all.  They burn, just on the floor of the Egg rather than above the grid; and the heat goes up into the Egg regardless.  No worries!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·