Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pizza dough?

Made dough last Friday.. Forgot it was in the fridge uncovered. Will it be good at this point?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
·

Comments

• DMWDMW Posts: 6,566
    May be overproofed and maybe a bit dry, but at 3 days, I would certainly give it a go.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,280
    depends on the recipe I suppose, but the doughs I make would not have survived that long.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • njlnjl Posts: 804
    I'd be worried about the dough being dried out and yeast done producing.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,223
    It feels ok..
    ·
    Some pizza doughs are actually better after proofing in the refrigerator for a few days, though covered is recommended. I had a batch that went 3 days, but I covered after about 8 hours. It was fine.
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • It all just depends on what percentage of leavening you have in the dough (yeast or starter).  

Think of the leavening as a limited fuel in your dough which is activated by heat and time.  The warmer the dough, the quicker the fuel gets used.  Even in a cold fridge, over time, that fuel will be used. 

If you want to try it, I would reccomend punching it down and then hope there is enough "fuel" for another rise.  
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
    ·
    I'm hoping for it.. Dominos on standby
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,280
    henapple said:
    I'm hoping for it.. Dominos on standby
    if Dominos is the fall back then stick with your stale dough - can't be any worst than Dominos cardboard crust! LOL -  Seriously though do you have a Papa Murphy's near you? That is a kick butt freshly made and bake at home pizza!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
    I like papa Murphys... Thin crust
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,491
    I have kept home made dough in the fridge for up to 8 days, but I cover it.  In fact I always make my dough at least 2 days ahead as it actually develops flavor while it rests.   I would not be afraid to use it and the yeast is certainly viable.  If it is not too dry to work into a ball, let it rest at room temp for a couple of hours and then roll it out and go for it.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,522
    edited September 2013
    try a very small one in a toaster oven first. You know, the ones with a small door.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
    Toaster oven? What, I'm 21 years old?
    ·
  • njlnjl Posts: 804
    I normally make my dough the night before and proof it mostly covered in the fridge overnight.  Mostly covered = covered with plastic wrap, with a 1/4" or so edge uncovered, and then covered over with a paper towel.  It works, and it's a big improvement on the original recipe (which was a no knead / no rise, mix it up, let it rest 10 minutes, and make pizza recipe), but I find it still works even better if I have the time, to let it proof at room temp, punch it down, let it rise again, punch it down again, and then use it after a 10min rest.  I usually don't have 3+ hours though to make pizza.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,777
    Are you out of PBR's??? Have you stopped drinking??? Quit makin' awesome paella and give your neglected dough a whirl. How bad could it turn out?

Just yankin' yer chain. Seriously though, just try it and see what happens. If nothing else, it'll teach you to not to leave your dough lonely and naked again.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    They're on
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,491
    And the result was.....................
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    I'm betting on a good result. A few days in the fridge should be fine.
    It was actually really good.. Great taste.
    ·
    Glad to hear you gave it a go and didn't toss it!
    Morgantown, PA

·