Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hique questions

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Since I changed over I seem to be burning more lump. Granted I've been doing pizzas and paella. I also seem to be cleaning out a lot. Might save the q for low and slows.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

I never take any of my 3 out of the Eggs. No need. Just don't seem to be a problem. Taking them in and out would be a bear (IMO).

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    Options
    Do you have more clean up?
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I always use it in my med. love it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Like Travis, in the MBGE. No, I don't use more lump and I do not have to wiggle. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    Options
    I love to wiggle.. 6 pbrs and it's on.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    I thought the answer to this thread would be "5-7-5"

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I thought the answer to this thread would be "5-7-5"

Check your pills please: blue in the mornings and green at night ( just like VI).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

"...just like VI"

I actually pegged VI as one of the folks here who would appreciate this particular attempt at humor so you may be on to something.

I probably need more pills. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @henapple-have your vent settings changed much?  Air-flow is air flow to drive the fire volume and temperature so I wouldn't expect a change in lump consumption but I don't use the Hi Q so no practical eggsperience.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    edited September 2013
    Options
    When I got my High-Q at first I noticed the same thing.  Burnign more lump.  But what I think really happened (at least for me) is that I was lighting the Egg the same and it came up to temp faster (When I light I leave the bottom vent wide open for ~10 minutes) compared to the normal grate and actually over shooting a little before stabilizing out.  Now I light less spots and its all good.

I do also realize that since I run commando (no gasket) I have to adjust the bands in the spring/fall to keep the dome close to closed.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't think you burn any more lump, but you do loose some smaller pieces through the high-que.  The way I see it, those small pieces would have likely clogged up the standard grate so I still prefer it.  If I am feeling miserly I will add some of the small pieces back on top and hope they burn rather than making it through again.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I Agee with @robnybbq about the fire coming to temp faster. I start to damper mine down a lot quicker than with the OEM grate. I didn't notice any extra lump usage. As far as having to clean out more, I only notice a difference when the lump was a less than stellar bag and had a bunch of smalls. After reading about someone on this forum leaving some ash in to insulate the bottom of the egg some I have quit cleaning out on every cook.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Leave my q's on both my large and mini all the time.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    ...but you do loose some smaller pieces through the high-que.  

You actually don't "lose" them at all.  They burn, just on the floor of the Egg rather than above the grid; and the heat goes up into the Egg regardless.  No worries!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.