Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rabbit?

My friend owns a rabbit farm, he is going nuts trying to figure out how to milk the little buggers. He got so frustrated he told me I could have a couple to throw on the grill.
Anyone got any good ideas for how I should cook them? I plan on skinning them first so feel free to omit that step in your instructions.

Comments

• Isn't there a thing about not eating rabbits in the summer? Does this apply to farm raised? Is it late enough in the year?

Dallas Texas

• Traditional paella is made with rabbit. I've never done it that way myself, however, as Mrs. TOTN refuses to eat rabbit.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Rabbit is delicious! Use most any chicken recipe and substitute rabbit. Remember, unlike chicken, you don't have skin to crisp. Thanks for the reminder!
    That fur will crisp up well with a good tempura batter.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I like rabbit. It isn't as tender as chicken but holds up to braises and stewing. More flavour than chicken. As TOTN said it is one of the original ingredients in paella (along with chorizo and snails). Try it in lapin au vin. (Coq au vin)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    As Little Steven says, rabbit is best braised or stewed. I think direct grilling would produce stringy meat. Look up "Italian rabbit vinegar" for a classic Italian verision. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Thanks for the tips, I was going to butterfly it and use my rib rub with evoo
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

SPATCHCOCKED RABBIT..........so cool

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I've cooked a lot of rabbit and enjoy it!

When I lived in Paris, I worked at a restaurant where we had a dish of three pieces of rabbit cooked three different ways.  One of the pieces was the "saddle" of the rabbit and one of my jobs was to "bone" the saddle.  So one of my collegues taught me a trick that I don't think I've ever used again, it was to get a plain old white, plastic bic pen and remove the ink tube.  The I.D. of teh tip of the pen then fits exactly over the bone of the rib cage and you can cleanly strip the skin off the bone by simply pushing down.  This was a LOT faster than using a knife.  Just a funny little tip in case you ever find yourself needing to bone a rabbits rib cage, lol. 
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Stew it in cast iron with some carrots and mushrooms and a roux or gravy and serve it over white rice. Needs a good long slow cook to tenderize. Could deglaze with some red wine.

Brookhaven, GA

2012 Large | Mid 90's Medium

• I raised rabbits on the farm, and the meat was very good.  Like the old cliche goes, "tastes like chicken".  I never had a problem wringing a chicken's neck, but hitting the bunny over the head with a hammer got to me after awhile, so I quit raising them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Pardon me for asking, but is your friend really trying to milk the rabbits?  What would one do with rabbit milk?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Rabbit is great stewed or braised. If you want to grill it, go high heat and sear it quick. Don't overcook. Rabbits don't have enough fat to taste good done low and slow over smoke. They are very tasty though!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I raised rabbits on the farm, and the meat was very good.  Like the old cliche goes, "tastes like chicken".  I never had a problem wringing a chicken's neck, but hitting the bunny over the head with a hammer got to me after awhile, so I quit raising them.

I knew it!! VI *IS* a softy at heart :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    caliking said:
    I raised rabbits on the farm, and the meat was very good.  Like the old cliche goes, "tastes like chicken".  I never had a problem wringing a chicken's neck, but hitting the bunny over the head with a hammer got to me after awhile, so I quit raising them.

I knew it!! VI *IS* a softy at heart :)

He could smash Canadians over the head without a second thought though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• He could smash Canadians over the head without a second thought though.
    Only certain Canadians, LS.  Can I call you "Bugs"?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Not all of us buddy but I kinda like it. Michigan J Fog is my favourite though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hey @Bearded_Man_BBQ, I agree with braising or stewing rabbit. Maybe try the Travis method (or sight modification), I bet that would be awesome.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Little Steven
    Hey @Bearded_Man_BBQ, I agree with braising or stewing rabbit. Maybe try the Travis method (or sight modification), I bet that would be awesome.

Cheers
    B_B
    The Travis method involves boiling stuff in Fresca for several hours. Don't think it would work on bunnies.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited October 2013
    As a Canadian, I boil mine, cool and remove all the meat. Then refry in butter with onions, garlic, some thyme and mushrooms. Easy and very good. I want rabbit now.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Isn't there a thing about not eating rabbits in the summer? Does this apply to farm raised? Is it late enough in the year?
    My dad always said only eat rabbit and squirrel in months with the letter r in them.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Growing up we used to have rabbit cacciatore a few times a year.  It was incredible.  

Long Island, NY
  • texaswig said:

Isn't there a thing about not eating rabbits in the summer? Does this apply to farm raised? Is it late enough in the year?

My dad always said only eat rabbit and squirrel in months with the letter r in them.

Like Mary, Jurne, Jurly & Augurst?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

texaswig said:

Like Mary, Jurne, Jurly & Augurst?

Fred, I only think these guys recognize those months.
  • I like to cook Rabbit in tomato sauce the same way I make a meat sauce just brown the rabbit peaces in a fry pan then put into the tomato sauce and cook it down and serve on pasta and boy now your eating Sicilian style !!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Cookinbob said:
    Pardon me for asking, but is your friend really trying to milk the rabbits?  What would one do with rabbit milk?
    You can milk anything with nipples.
    :ar!
    XL BGE
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Trini_in_Ottawa Posts: 231
    edited October 2013

Cookinbob said:

You can milk anything with nipples.
    :ar!

Haha - that is a funny movie. :)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    "Waiter, please take this rabbit stew back; I found a hare in it"  

Q:  What's invisible and smells like carrots?
    A:  BunnyFarts!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Maybe I am stuck on this, but @Bearded_Man_BBQ I believe your friend is trying to create a "rabbit dairy farm".  There can't be much milk in a dairy rabbit.  There has to be a story behind this................
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY