Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ DX2 Maiden Voyage

Just about an hour into the DigiQ's first outing on the egg. Put on a 10 lb pork shoulder for tailgating in Athens tomorrow before the UGA/LSU. For thise of you who have used this i have a question about starting the coals with it. Do you get everythin going with the fan in or wait till going then pop in fan and get stabilized? I was quite excited that my local hardware store was willing to get close enough to the best online deal i could find so I could keep my money local. Even threw in a bag of Rockwood to make up the remaining difference. They're great!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
Peachtree Corners, GA

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    I light my fire and plug everything in right after that. It depends on the temp you are looking for. On a low and slow I let the digi Q get the egg up to temp.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • thats how i played it and it seemed to work fine. i set it to 250 and im only 2 hours in and my meat internal is already 154. i was planning on it going all night but may not take long enough for me to get a full nights sleep.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RLeeper
    Cooking at 250 you will have plenty of time to sleep. It may take close to 20 hours to cook that thing! If you are running out of time you can foil and speed the process tomorrow. You are nowhere near the stall yet. Let the digiq do the work and go sleep! I do have a maverick on my nightstand just in case when I do overnighters...
  • i was hoping that would be the case. thanks for the help.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RLeeper
    Np
  • I do the same as RLeeper. For a low and slow I light the fire for about 5 min, then put on my plate setter, grid, and hook up the digiQ and let it get up to temp. My first pork butts I did (two 8.5 lbs) only took me 9 hrs at 250 to get to 200 internal temp.
    Houston, TX
  • RLeeper
    Just another bit of info...I clip my thermo to the BGE dome thermo and not the grate
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited September 2013

I wondered about that.  Ended up clipping it next to the meat on the grate above the drip pan.  I still worried that I'd pass 190 while I slept so at 11pm I dropped the pit temp down to 225 and went to bed.  Woke up at 4am and checked and meat was up to 187.  Slept another hour and came back @ 5 to 185 so I bumped pit up to 240 and went back to bed.  At 6:40 I came back out and the DigiQ alarm sounded as I walked up to the egg letting me know we'd reached 190.  Wrapped in HDAF, a towel, then into the cooler.  Pulled it at 11am and it was GREAT.  I think it had just a tad too much smoke but I'm my biggest critic. 

Brisket will be going on this Friday for Saturday's game in Knoxville against the Vols.

RLeeper - thanks for all your help. 

GO DAWGS!!!

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • @GATraveller

What store?  Rockwood just hit 24 stores in ATL and I'm trying to follow-up with the managers & as many new customers as I can reach.  It's a test run, so if you like it, make sure you tell the proprietors.

• Ace Hardware on Holcomb Bridge Rd. in Norcross.  I was the first Rockwood customer.  Had just opened a bag of Wicked Good last weekend so I didn't try the Rockwood on this cook but will use it for the Brisket Fri/Sat and told manager I'd give him a review. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA