Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moroccan-style lamb

I had a boneless leg of lamb in the freezer, and since I was having folks over for the weekend, it sounded like it would fit the bill for dinner on Sat.

Made a spice paste for marinating the meat. Its modified from a recipe for a chicken tagine I made some time ago (search the forum for "Djej Besla" if you're interested - it was in the CI throwdown). Loads of garlic (ended up adding 2 heads), olive oil, paprika, cayenne, cumin, kosher salt, turmeric, and saffron. 

Rubbed it on to the meat and let it get happy overnight.

Next day (Sat), fired up the large with Kroger lump and pecan wood. Let it stabilize at ~350°F. Prepped sweet taters with olive oil, rosemary, seasoned salt, and pepper. 

Threw the lamb on first, then added the taters wrapped in foil about 30mins later. 

Pulled the lamb when it hit 165°F. That's 30°F higher than usual, but SWMBO is preggers with lil caliking, so we're off pink meat for a while. 

Plated shot. SWMBO made brussels sprouts and mushrooms with capers and white wine indoors, which was also pretty tasty.

A nice meal, but the lamb would have tasted better had it been med-rare. We tried a Trader Joe's garlic mustard aioli that went very well with the taters and the meat. 

With the little one on the way, a DSLR is likely to find its way home to me. Better pics in my posts should follow soon after!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    My invitation must of got lost in the mail. Nice cook buddy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Love me some Moroccan Lamb! Actually, the way you cooked it is more authentic to the way Moroccans prefer their lamb. They prefer it more well done from what I've read in the past. Looks outstanding, and congrats on the little one!!!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Moroccan lamb sounds great! Congrats on the Mini caliking!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Haha, somehow I knew I'd find @R2Egg2Q on this lamb thread...

That does look like a nice dinner @Caliking, congrats. I'd be all over that lamb on some naan or something similar. 

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Nice baby sheep Cali. You need to get yourself some zataar if you're gonna do North African.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Haha, somehow I knew I'd find @R2Egg2Q on this lamb thread...

That does look like a nice dinner @Caliking, congrats. I'd be all over that lamb on some naan or something similar. 

Cheers -
    B_B

Yeah, I've been on a lamb kick lately. I'm finishing leftover lamb tonight and I could go for some of caliking's moroccan lamb afterwards!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Thanks everyone. We are already planning to take the little guy to Salado (he'll be about 2months old then). He'll have the mini to cook on, so we just have to plan what he's going to egg :)

@RAC: House across the street is for sale... come on down. I never seem to be able to keep track of your invites :D

@Dyal_SC - yep you're right. In other parts of the world, meat usually gets done med-well at least. But now I'm used to eating some meats done med-rare, depending on how they are cooked.

@Black_Badger - I was just thinking as I cooked this that it is sort of like a raan masallam, and would indeed go great with naan or pilaf.

@Little Steven - I like zaatar on mid-Eastern breads, not so much of a fan of it on meats, but maybe I just haven't cooked enough with it. Right now I'm going through a cumin and garlic phase, so I seem to be cooking alot with either of those - in this case both!

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Nice, really like pic#1 of spice pool. Congrats on your caliprince!
    canuckland
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Wow another great cook!

Congratulations on the mini king! You will have a future pitmaster for sure with all of your backyard cooking toys! B-)
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking
    Thanks @Canugghead & @Solson005. Any child of mine will have to learn how to cook :) Goal is for him to at least know the difference between barbecue and grilling by age 2 (if not sooner!)

• I'm trying this dish tonight--3.5lb bone-in, so cooking indirect. My first leg of lamb on my Egg! Will let you know how it turned out! Thanks for the recipe
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It's official. ...I hate you.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    Shelzegg said:
    I'm trying this dish tonight--3.5lb bone-in, so cooking indirect. My first leg of lamb on my Egg! Will let you know how it turned out! Thanks for the recipe
    Go easy on the saffron - I added 1 tsp and it was way too much. I normally wouldn't add that much to any Indian dish,but its what the recipe called for so i rolled it with it. 

@henapple - bite me :D

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Lil caliking... Caliprince?
  • caliking
    Yep.  Dropping in 12 days! 

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Another great lamb one awesome! Good luck with the little one!
    Lynnwood WA
  • 2 hrs got me a medium rare leg of lamb. Deeeeelicous! Would benefit from a meat probe for temps. Will be looking into that!