Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket fail

After finishing off some ribs today I cranked up the egg to around 600 to burn off some of the sauce and dripping left over from my first few weeks of cooking. Apparently my gasket wasn't quite up to the task. I've been trying to take it easy with my first few cooks on the egg and allow time for the gasket to set but apparently 15 hours didn't do it for me. What's my best play? How necessary is the gasket, and if I get a replacement any suggestions?

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited September 2013
    A gasket is not necessary if your egg seals well.

I replaced mine with a Cotronics 397.  With an XL, i like having a little cushion when the lid closes.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    It's gonna happen at some time. Mine was the first time I did pizzas shortly after getting my egg. A call to the mothership and they sent a replacement gasket in a couple of days. Ran the new one through the dryer to shrink it up then installed and have not had an issue since. They sent me the high temp replacement at no cost. 

Do a search on the internet for replacing the gasket and you will get some very good video instructions. Just follow the steps and you will be fine.

I know that there are many on the forum that run commando but I like having the gasket in place.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • DMurf, had not heard anyone mention running brought the dryer before. Is that a necessary step?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    To replace, contact @RRP, Ron Pratt on this forum.  He will fix you up with a Rutland gasket and a set of very clear, simple instructions (even I could follow them).
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    edited September 2013
    The new gaskets from BGE come with self-adhesive, I would not put that in the dryer. Placing the plate setter feet down seems to put a lot more heat on the Gasket area also, making failures while doing pizza common. I would talk to you dealer also as this is a slightly older model you have and they may have some of the new gaskets on hand to give you as a replacement. With the old felt gaskets I used to include a high temp Gasket with the purchase because I knew it was only a matter of time.
  • jaydub58 said:
    To replace, contact @RRP, Ron Pratt on this forum.  He will fix you up with a Rutland gasket and a set of very clear, simple instructions (even I could follow them).
    +1

I put on a Rutland from @RRP a couple months back and it's been great. I posted a thread with pictures on this forum too, might be worth looking up. 

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Mine did not have adhesive on it, I used Super 77 spray adhesive for mine.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Quick question...is the one pictured in the first post the old felt gasket?  I have only had mine for a month but my gasket looks different than the one pictured here.  Just wondering if mine is the newer style or if the one that failed here is?
    Albion, PA
  • Quick question...is the one pictured in the first post the old felt gasket?  I have only had mine for a month but my gasket looks different than the one pictured here.  Just wondering if mine is the newer style or if the one that failed here is?
    I agree. The gasket pictured looks like an old pre-mid 2012 felt gasket. Talk to your dealer, they may be able to give you an off the shelf BGE high temp right away. The gasket is guaranteed for the first year. The newer high temp or Nomex gaskets are much lighter in colour. 
    The way the one pictured peeled off leads me to think it was old and the glue had dried out so it never set correctly. It looks intact, just not stuck to the base. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    My first gasket lasted 3+ years.  Replaced it with the new high-temp felt.  was fairly easy.  like they said, gasket is guaranteed for the first year.