Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question regarding smoking

Options

Hello All,

I am a newly reformed EggHead...  I bought an XL in July and have been experimenting with it every week since then.  I am an old long time propane user...  The learning curve with lump charcoal has been fun!  I am HOOKED on the BGE and the BBQ Guru!  Doing chicken wings as we speak for football night.........

The ONLY criticism I have of the BGE is that when I put fine wood chips in for smoke, they only last for about an hour.  I have a lot of experience with the box smokers and have done quite a bit of hot smoking.  Nice thing with them is when your chips burn up, you open up, re-load, and get your 4 hours of smoke.  Does anyone have any "tricks" to make your wood last longer for more smoke?  I have always used the fine chips from Lowes and Gander Mountain.  Would larger chunks of hickory be necessary??

Thank you in advance.

Steve

Comments

• calracefan
    Options
    Use wood chunks or more chips spread through out the lump. That way it will add smoke as the fire spreads.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Depending on what you are smoking,  butts ribs birds eggcetera, if a longer cook 5-6 hours+ I would inbed some chunks throughout the charcoal. When I do a bird hour or so, usually spatchcock, I just throw a large handful or so of chips when I add the bird and that meets my objective. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Only time I use chips is when I'm smoking something that's a little more delicate like fish or skinless chicken.  Otherwise all I use is chunks.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.