Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My $10 Platesetter tool

I stopped in Harbor Freight to just waste some time but also keep my eye out for a possible item to use, maybe with modifications, to remove a hot platesetter from my Large.  Up until now I'd been using some leather welding gloves, but they burn a little deeper each time I use them and one of these days it'll burn into flesh, I'll drop and break the platesetter, and say a bad word or something.  I have a great idea for a simple, easy-to-use tool but I don't have the tools (yet) to build it.

Then I came across this, an 8" deep-throat C-clamp, $9.95:

When I got home, it slid right in, even in the worst-case situation above (legs up); a few quick twists of the screw and it was secure, and the body of the clamp made a very comfortable handle to lift it.  A 7" clamp would be perfect, putting the clamping point in the exact center of the PS (I may have a buddy weld a 3" "T" bar to the bottom pad of the clamp, just for a bit more stability).  
This is still fussier than the idea I have, or the flat strap-steel lifter that's been discussed here (a bit more pricey, especially with shipping) but I'm happy not having to use the gloves anymore, and the price was right (plus, the clamp will come in handy for certain woodworking tasks occasionally).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• Hmmm, I seldom do it, but as it happens I removed a hot PS tonight.  Actually made my gloves smoke, and I relied on my welding experience to grimace an set it down gently.  I have a ton of big u-clamps in my wood working shop.  That is a great idea.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Good idea, and now that I think about it.....  how about two more manageable c clamps = 4" spread 180 out?  That would take the stability part out off the table anyhow.

Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice simple solution, I like it. I have been pulling my hot PS more often it seems.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Botch heck of an idea taking one out of the garage tomorrow having the neighbor weld a platform on the bottom like you said.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    The woo is your friend....you can cook with it too.
    Yes I know its not $10.
    Seattle, WA
  • If you or a friend can weld.  This is easy to make and parts cost less than $10.  image
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Eggucator, how does that work?  Do the short ends slide under the plate, and are they long enough to "maintain grip"?  Or do the long portions fit under the PS (which is basically the idea I've had, but those short hooks on the end look like they wouldn't fit...)  
    Could you post a pic of it holding the PS?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• @botch The short ends go under so when I pull up the angle is just right to hold the PS on the flat parts you see.  Here is a pic.  Hope it helps. image
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • Botch
    It does Eggucator, thank you very much!  Looking at the first pic I wouldn't have thought it'd hold it that way securely, but it obviously does.  Also glad to see it works on the PS "leg's-up", too.  

• txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Wow!  I haven't fired up the new large egg yet.  But this looks interesting.  I also haven't considered all the logistics of managing moving things around in a hot egg, so I am learning here.  Got clamps.  But we have some of those oven gloves, will they not insulate better than leather welding gloves?  I was considering getting a pair of the BGE oven gloves because they aren't white like the Ove Gloves in the house.  Should I save my money?  Sounds like a pair of deep throat C-clamps would make things more stable and faster to remove the PS, but setting it down after removal would require some manuevering.  The rebar version looks good too, but I would be concerned the small hooks would put a bunch of stress on the edge of the PS.  I have done both wood and metal fabrication over the years...I think ya'll are one to something here!
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • Botch
    Txav8r, do you still have your old gasser?  Many of us have used that to hold the hot grills and platesetters!   ;)

• txav8r
    My gasser is a Weber Genesis 1000 I think.  Do you mean you just place the parts inside it?  Might be a good idea! 
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • Here is my go to mitt for the plate setter. No issues at all no heat transfer and great grip! http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/oxo-silicone-oven-mitt-with-magnet?ID=400989
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    I just use a large set of Channel Locks
  • Botch
    edited September 2013
    beteez said:
    I just use a large set of Channel Locks
    I looked at those, long and hard, while at Harbor Freight, especially these with the orthogonal jaws:

I also thought about a handle with three 2'-long cables hanging from it, with a "U"-shaped bracket at the end.  That would hold well but be a hassle to attach.  Kinda like this:

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Nifty tools. Love it when egger minds get creative.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    I used to carve ice back in the day and im trying to find an old pair of ice tongs.
  • txav8r
    hondabbq said:
    I used to carve ice back in the day and im trying to find an old pair of ice tongs.

Your on to exactly what I was thinking...a tong type device that holds tighter as you lift.  But I see it as a single handed device, so the fulcrum point as well as the handle needs to balance between the attach points to keep the PS level.  Even with great gloves, I don't know if my mind will let me reach down in a hot egg and lift out an upside down PS. 

Could someone describe a situation where you need to remove a hot PS? 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    hondabbq said:
    I have such an antique, but don't think I would trust myself centering it well enough to stay in complete control of my PS. OTOH I use a pair of 450 degree Orca gloves and handle my hot PS all the time. If you want to stay with a device, how about adapting a brick carrier that also tightens up when lifted. I'm sure there is a proper name for one.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I'd assume you would need to remove it when doing a reverse sear or if you want to load more lump and do some grilling after a low and slow cook.
    Houston, TX
  • txav8r

Are those silicone gloves more capable than the aramid style gloves?  We have pair of these Ove Gloves.  They are rated to 540 degrees, but I don't know if the cuff is long enough for a grill.  They work great for oven duties in the kitchen and don't seem to let the heat from a hot stone or pyrex dish bother us.

• txav8r said:

Are those silicone gloves more capable than the aramid style gloves?  We have pair of these Ove Gloves.  They are rated to 540 degrees, but I don't know if the cuff is long enough for a grill.  They work great for oven duties in the kitchen and don't seem to let the heat from a hot stone or pyrex dish bother us.

I've used these numerous times. They work great and I feel like I have better control of the plate than using a tool.

Dallas Texas