Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined Pork Butt??

Options
I was camping and had a pork butt in the ice chest. When I went to cook it, I found that it had fallen to the bottom of the ice chest and was submerged in water from melted ice. I drained off the water, patted dry, and cooked anyway.

I did Turbo, and during the foiled portion of the cook noticed a ton of water cooking out of it, some pouring out of the foil and some accumulating and still in the foil when the cook ended.

This was the moistest pork butt I've ever cooked...just super moist. Accidental discovery...?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    You may be on to something there.  I'm surprised some eggers haven't chimed in on this interesting thought.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @jaydub58 I've never seen it discussed here but just googled it and see that some people do brine pork butts.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    edited September 2013
    Options
    i like to brine butts, when I plan ahead, they are great plain but the added moisture of brining is worth it too me.  most people say you won't notice a difference.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I've done it, and it was fantastic.  Need to do it again.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I think tjcooly did a marinated butt once. I injected a few and it was very good. I just couldn't validate the extra work on a butt that is already going to turn out good.

XLBGE 
  • ringkingpin
    Options
    Years ago when I was trying to find the best way to cook pork shoulders, I was experimenting with brining them.  It's kinda counter intuitive because the shoulder is NOT a lean piece of meat.  That said, brining did produce the most tender results!  This is when I was doing 24 shoulders at a time though and the extra work at that time wasn't worth if for me.  If I was going to do one or two on the egg, I would consider it for sure!
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Did two 8# butts for our last tailgate turbo style and they turned out great. Dome at 350* until 160* internal. Wrapped in HDAF and back on the egg. Checked internal a little over an hour later 180*.
    Waited about another hour or so and one was at 200, the other at 205. I was afraid I may have dried them out. Put them in the cooler and hauled buggy to the tailgate spot...they were in the cooler about three hours B4 we ate. When we unwrapped there was a lot fluid in the bottom of the foil. The meat was so tender and moist that you could pull apart with your fingers. Great smoke ring and was not mushy. No more low and slow butts for me.
    :)>-

Opelika, Alabama