Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First run at some baby backs.

Options
My first shot at a rack of baby backs sure didn't go as expected, but they came out great none the less. I started them out at 225 and cooked them there for about 2 hours. When I came back to check on them at the 2 hr mark I noticed the temp was dropping below 200, so I open it up a bit. Unfortunately that spikes my temps way up over 300 so I had to pull them for a bit waiting for the temps to stabilize again. I ended up finishing them around 275. Temp fluctuations aside they came out great!!!!

Any tips for getting a fire going for a good slow and low cook in the egg would be appreciated. I'm glad the fire kicked on me making a rack of baby backs for me and SWMBO as opposed to a butt for the family bbq.

One week in and loving the egg!

Comments

• Philly35
    Options
    I just break a starter cube in half and put both halfs in the middle of the egg- about three inches apart- front to back not side to side. Light and leave dome open for ten minutes tops and put meat on and close dome. Adjust vents and temp will rise to 200-220 very slowly, takes about 20 minutes. The trick is keeping the dome closed. If I keep opening it, the temp ends up too high.
    NW IOWA
  • Philly35
    Options
    When I do ribs, by time I'm done foiling and opening the dome for spritzing and all, my temps usually around 300 by time they are done.
    NW IOWA
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    Ok, so a bit of a temp increase over a rib cook is normal. Good to know. I'm just about to fire up the egg and make a few racks of ribs for some friends who are helping me and the lady move into our new place. Here is hoping I can get a slightly more consistent temp this time by splitting the fire starter.
  • KennyLee
    Options

I prefer the low and slow method too, but I might suggest you up your target temps to the 250-275 range from the beginning.  My experience is that anything below 225, you risk what happened to you, losing the fire and dropping temps.  I think you'll find that you won't have nearly as much temperature variance in the higher temperature range as the Egg seems to like to stabilize in that range...i.e., the "sweet spot." 

I did a 5 lb. butt last weekend at around 270 for about 7 hours and never had to fool with the fire or open the lid one time throughout the whole cook. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Sm62577
    Options
    Do Turbo method, rub them up,,cook at 325 for 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs,, do bend test,,mine always have a nice bark and almost fall off bone ,,,great for when you have a spur of the moment craving for ribs..
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I found the easy way. I never cook anything under 325 anymore and cook everything turbo. Just NEVER a problem with fires. My turbo ribs:...Baby Back Turbo Ribs (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.) 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    I've been reading about turbo ribs and plan on trying them out soon, but seeing as im a new egg owner I figured I'd stick to the process I knew from my last set up. Plenty of time to get crazy with the cooks, but for the first group gathering with the Egg I wanted to knock it out of the park with a recipe I know like the back of my hand.

Today's ribs are on at 250 with a dry rub I whipped up smoking over some maple wood. They've already caused one neighbor to poke their head over the fence to see what's cookin'!

Thanks for all the feedback, this place rocks!