Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help!

Options
Just opened my egg up and it looks like there's mold on the gasket. Any ideas how this happened or how to fix it or what could have caused it? I got my egg last year at eggtoberfest.
Beth Hardeeville, South Carolina

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Mold happens, especially in damp environments. How often do you fire up the egg? If it's just on the gasket I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe use a diluted beach solution to kill the mold. 

If it's throughout the egg I'd do a clean burn. Open the top and bottom vent all the way and let the egg go nuclear (extremely high temp) then cool down. Should sterilize the whole thing.

Good luck,
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • bethg212
    Options
    It's been very damp here and I don't fire it up as much as I would like. I'll do a clean burn just to cover myself. Thanks for your help!
    Beth Hardeeville, South Carolina
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Also, keep in mind, that after a good clean you will probably be replacing your gasket.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    When you do the clean burn, don't use a full fire box of lump. 1/3 of a box should be more than enough. I agree w.  Badger that a dilute bleach would be sufficient to clear up any mold on the gasket.

If you don't use the Egg very often, and it is sitting in sunlight, just cover it w. a big contractor's size black plastic bag. It will get hot enough inside the bag to keep clean.