Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Organic Squash stole the show

Options
Hi there,

Did slow-roased lamb on the Egg last evening but---almost as an after thought--threw on an organic squash ('bout half the size of a soccer ball) scooped out with butter and some garlic. It came to the table all blacked and shiny on the outside but what heaven inside! Warm, nutty, buttery, caramel-like spoonfuls of joy. Quite forgot the lamb as we all dug into this wonderful natural hotpot. 

Comments

• nbak4bbq
    Options
    Should have said "slow-roasted" there although rosemary was involved!
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Options
    Now that squash sounds worth it!  Any chance you know what kind of squash it was?  How long did you cook and at what temp?
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    Where are the #*!$# pics? :)
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    Did you put the squash on the egg whole or did  you cut it first?  Direct or indirect?  Sounds great!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • nbak4bbq
    Options
    Okay,

Sorry guys. Some specifics. I'm not a squash egg-spert but it looked a like these bad boys here:
    Cooking times and temps? Hmm... I'm thinking it was between two and three hours at 150c or there about. It went in the Egg whole. All I did was hollow him out and add butter and a big spoonful of pre-crushed garlic. Yes. It has to be indirect at these times. Plate setter legs up on the stainless steel grill. Actually, it was such a hit with the wife and kids that I'm doing the same again tonight. Got another squash like the last, a baby butternut squash and some organic jacket potatoes. I'm having a little experiment this time and, instead of garlic in the squash, there's a lump of smoked cheese. Once again, intended cook time about three hours keeping it all around 150c or under. Will report back.
  • brzelt
    brzelt Posts: 62
    Options

What a great idea.....   I wonder how cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar would do with that....  hmmm 
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • lmcadoo
    Options

Good Day,

The squash pictured are acorn squash. It is another winter squash like spaghetti and butternut squash. Another good way of doing it is half the squash and remove seeds. Fill cavity with OJ and bake for 30 minutes. Add cranberry sauce to the cavity and bake another 30 minutes or until soft.

FYI, for those looking to lower their carb intake. Acorn squash has the highest carb content followed by Butternut and the Spaghetti has the least.