Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

low temp problem

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have owned my large egg for 6 years. For the longest time my egg reached temps of 750 and higher. Now it only reaches temps of 450 and will not sustain it for very long, maybe 1/2 hour. I have not changed my methods and to my knowledge nothing is broken. Please offer suggestions for a remedy.[p]Ben Egged

Comments

• PCO3
    PCO3 Posts: 50
    Options
    Ben Egged,[p]I had the same problem and I did three things which worked for me. 1) Put in less charcoal so that air circulation is maximized and 2) Clean out the ash that falls to the back and behind the firebox to maximize air circulation and 3) Moved Egg to where air was not stagnant. You probably have already done these, but wasn't sure. Also, I never use any damper on the chimney, it is just wide open for maximum air exit.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Ben Egged,
    There are only two things that can be wrong, not enough air or not enough fuel. Assuming you still fill the cooker up with the same kind of charcoal and the same amount, then only airflow is left. Have you cleaned all the ashes out? Is the hole in the base of the firebox in line with the bottom vent? It the charcoal grate open and not blocked with chips or ash?
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    One other thing which is, in fact, related to the charcoal is the size of the pieces. Are you dumping in a bunch of small sized pieces so that air cannot flow through the charcoal very well? [p]TNW
    The Naked Whiz
  • Thanks for both of your post. I have tried every thing you mentioned with one exception, much of the charcoal I use is small and is possibly restricting air flow. At times, I add more charcoal in an attempt to increase temp which probably decreases temp?
    I have cooked a lot on my egg in the past 6 years that has created residue throughout the inside of the egg. Could this restrict air flow?

• Thanks for your comments. Indeed I have tried the remedies you mentioned. Possibly I need to use larger peices of charcoal. Interestingly, I recenty purchased a ex lg Egg and I ues the same methods with out temp problems.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Ben Egged,
    If you use charcoal which has reasonably sized pieces, more charcoal means a hotter fire. However, if you are using smaller sized pieces, more charcoal means more restricting of the airflow. I once used a bag of mesquite charcoal which was mostly very small pieces. I couldn't get the temp over 350 degrees. Airflow was the problem. However, when I have a bag of reasonable charcoal, I load it up to the fire ring, no problem.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BTG
    BTG Posts: 76
    Options
    Ben Egged,
    Are you sure your thermometer is working properly? Sounds like you have done all the rest and if the XL gets up to temp with the same charcoal them maybe your thermometer is kaput.