Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need your opinion. What's it worth?

Comments

• It's got the old style nest, but it looks like it's only been used once or twice.  I'd offer $175.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited September 2013
    The pictures they posted aren't the greatest but it looks like the left side bracket where the handle connects is broken off or completely missing?  I can see the handle in the background of the last picture, but would be completely useless if it has nowhere to connect. You can see the right side bracket in the third pic but clearly no left side bracket in that same picture.  That's really strange. I would make sure and ask about it.  I paid $150 for mine off Craigslist but this one looks a few years newer with the stainless lower vent and single scissor style hinge. Not a fan of the scissor hinges. They only open so far and just an all around poor design. The mini has also grown and not sure if all the accessories will fit in some of the older minis. If you can get him or her under $200 (Depending on the handle situation) I would say go for it.  I did a mini restoration on mine and decided to keep the (double) scissor hinge on it to keep the overall purchase price down.  It's a fun little grilling machine! 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • I think the base is new and the top is used. I saw the handle not attached and the bracket does appear to be broken. Pr
  • WeberWho
    The old style nest isn't worth any extra money. Maybe you can explain that the nest and band are flawed and give him an offer of $150. The nest could be the reason why they have a new base
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    WeberWho? said:
    The old style nest isn't worth any extra money. Maybe you can explain that the nest and band are flawed and give him an offer of $150. The nest could be the reason why they have a new base.
    WeberWho? Thank you so much for posting that picture. I bought a virgin never cooked on mini a couple of weeks ago with this type of standand that pic says volumes. I'll modify the stand so it's supported from the bottom  before I cook on it thanks to you.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It's probably not the bottom but the band around the egg..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I don't know how much a new style nest costs, but I would think it wouldn't be that much.  That could be the cheapest solution should you buy the egg.  Keep in mind the cost to cure the nest and handle problems as well as you're not getting a warranty when you bid on the egg.  Is it worth it?   
    Flint, Michigan
  • td66snrf
    henapple said:
    It's probably not the bottom but the band around the egg..
    I agree. I'll make it so it's supported at the bottom and the stand doesn't touch the sides. I haven't decided whether to weld in a disc for the bottom to sit on or three rods that go from each leg and meet in the center.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    the nest is irrelevant, the value (or lack thereof) for this item is the cooker itself; I say this because the mini is a table top cooker & can sit directly on a metal or stone table or up on some egg feet on other surfaces.  If you can get it for a price you can justify for what it can bring to the party, buy it.  Personally, I think they belong in the dramatically overpriced novelty department even at $200.  They look cute, they can cook (small amounts of food), they are 'eggs' & so on & so forth, but in my opinion they lack so much of what the larger ceramic cookers bring to the outdoor cooking party that they aren't a worthwhile purchase overall particularly in light of what else is available on the market in the small cooker department. 
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Zippylip said:
    the nest is irrelevant, the value (or lack thereof) for this item is the cooker itself; I say this because the mini is a table top cooker & can sit directly on a metal or stone table or up on some egg feet on other surfaces.  If you can get it for a price you can justify for what it can bring to the party, buy it.  Personally, I think they belong in the dramatically overpriced novelty department even at $200.  They look cute, they can cook (small amounts of food), they are 'eggs' & so on & so forth, but in my opinion they lack so much of what the larger ceramic cookers bring to the outdoor cooking party that they aren't a worthwhile purchase overall particularly in light of what else is available on the market in the small cooker department. 
    Cockroach in your biscotti this am?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    not since you left my kitchen
    happy in the hut
  • WeberWho
    td66snrf said:

WeberWho? said:

The old style nest isn't worth any extra money. Maybe you can explain that the nest and band are flawed and give him an offer of $150. The nest could be the reason why they have a new base.

WeberWho? Thank you so much for posting that picture. I bought a virgin never cooked on mini a couple of weeks ago with this type of standand that pic says volumes. I'll modify the stand so it's supported from the bottom  before I cook on it thanks to you.

I know Mickey found a method where he uses or used tin foil around the stand to help eliminate some of the heat. I've seen a few cracked mini bases because of the nest and mine now sits on the shelf unused since I don't want to run the risk of cracking my used mini egg.

Minnesota
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    edited September 2013
    I would cut out most of the circular support leaving a T at the top. Would still hold the egg but allow for expansion and contraction. My 3 cents... Hey, inflation.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited September 2013
    Zippylip said:

Don't worry BGE is not worried about the mini and what others think its worth.

Love it on this end.OP it was worth the $400+$45 stand.... And mini woo and pizza stones. Do I need to go on? So half that is a deal imo

Seattle, WA
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I'm with @SkinnyV.  I truly love my mini when I'm just doing a couple of burgers, chops, whatever for two.  Beats firing up my large for a small cook.

Also, the primary reason I bought the mini is portability.  We won a small condo on the north Oregon Coast, and, with my Egg Carten, the mini gets to go to the beach several times a year.

Terrific!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • td66snrf
    jaydub58 said:

I'm with @SkinnyV.  I truly love my mini when I'm just doing a couple of burgers, chops, whatever for two.  Beats firing up my large for a small cook.

Also, the primary reason I bought the mini is portability.  We won a small condo on the north Oregon Coast, and, with my Egg Carten, the mini gets to go to the beach several times a year.

Terrific!

You won a condo?
  • Zippylip
    SkinnyV said:
    Don't worry BGE is not worried about the mini and what others think its worth. Love it on this end.OP it was worth the $400+$45 stand.... And mini woo and pizza stones. Do I need to go on? So half that is a deal imo
    Who said BGE was worried?  Hell if I were BGE, given all I've read about the mini & the devoted followers it has over the years I'd raise the price to $500, $550, why not?  In economic terms it's like anything else, it's worth what the market will bear, the fact that I'm blown away by what people are willing to pay for it is as irrelevant to their monetary worth as the old style stands they came with...
    happy in the hut