Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Egg smokes a lot

Why does egg smoke so much before even adding wood?

Comments

• AquacopAquacop Posts: 468
    How much smoke are we talking about, I assume you are using hardwood lump.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Lump that's lighting for the first time will smoke some. Whatever you're lighting with may smoke some. Any grease on the grid or in the egg may also burn/smoke.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • jkbjkb Posts: 3
    Yes I use hardwood lump. A lot of smoke
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 501
    When I used Lazzari mesquite it smokes the whole cook.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Some lump is really dusty and will take a long time to clear. Try another brand. Lighting in multiple spots helps too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jkbjkb Posts: 3
    I will try some different lump. thanks
  • jkb said:
    I will try some different lump. thanks
    What were you using?
    Albion, PA
  • Some lump is really dusty and will take a long time to clear. Try another brand. Lighting in multiple spots helps too.
    Exactly....not sure of your lighting technique (there are many), but lighting in four or more spots gets the initial burn going quicker and more efficiently and reduces the time of the initial smoke.  Also certain brands......Ozark Oak in my experience thus far......put off far less smoke than most brands of lump you will find.  Although quite a bit of smoke at the outset is not unusual and is nothing to worry about. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• bookswbooksw Posts: 234
    Make sure the holes under the lump aren't clogged with ash.  If the lump doesn't get enough air, it will take longer to get hot (if at all) and it will smoke.
    Charleston, SC