Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Egg & Weather

Hey everyone, new Egger here, and thank you for all the awesome advice on here, it has been a huge help.  I did two racks of ribs today for the first time & they came out Perfect: mustard, rub, 250 for 5 hours, no foil, sauced them near the end.  And I am grateful for it, 'cause it is hard to find good ribs in the Pacific Northwest.

Anyhoo, my question is about leaving the Egg out in the rain without a cover.  Today, for instance, I was smoking in the rain - when the ribs were done, I didn't want to put the cover right back on, 'cause the Egg was still hot - now I'm not sure I want to cause I'd be trapping whatever moisture is on there inside the cover with it.  Just wondering if I should leave it out for the night while it's raining & then light it to dry it tomorrow? Or if I need to make sure next time put the cover on while it is still warm/dry but not hot? How much damage will rain do? 

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Stopped using a cover after about 6 months. Egg sits out in the sun, rain, snow, sleet and hail. No issues at all. The cover is one Eggcessory that is not needed.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • I cover mine, but I don't think it is necessary.We get alot of rain through the winter. One thing I will try, is to leave the lower vent open and the daisy wheel off. I heard of this, to prevent mould, if you weren't using the egg for a longer period of time. I will try this method, but we use both eggs quite frequently in the winter. 
    Welcome aboard, it is a fun place.
    Large, small, and a mini