Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Coffee rub

Mixed up 16oz of @Mickey coffee rub for tonight. If you haven't tried this... Do.

Mickey's Coffee Rub
INGREDIENTS: 
1/4 cup salt 
1/2 cup brown sugar 
1/2 cup ancho-chili powder 
1/2 cup expresso ground (very fine) Coffee. (Has red,yellow&green label)
1/4 cup garlic powder 
1/4 cup ground black pepper 
Procedure: 
1 Mix all and keep in an air tight container.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
·

Comments

• Thanks....been wanting to try a coffee rub.  What are you using it on?  Heard it's great on brisket.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,424
    Bone-in ribeyes...
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,418
    Great on steak, pork, chicken/turkey. I am down to 4 rubs. That, Butt Rub, Julio's, Pineapple Head and Jubilee by Bad Byron's for seafood. Ok, 5 rubs.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,916
    On the to do list...
    ·
  • Not my favourite on pork, but for everything else Mickey's rub has been a "fixture" since I saw his he post last year. Really good on chicken and turkey. 

For the espresso grind, I use my burr grinder on the finest setting, then give the grounds a spin in the small coffee/spice grinder to turn it into almost dust. Thanks to Mickey's coffee rub, tried ancho powder for the first time. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 468
    Thanks, been wanting to try it since I got the Egg.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
    ·
  • I'm going to try this! Thanks Henapple!
    NW IOWA
    ·
    @skiddymarker grinds his. But for those of us that are lazier: image
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • chipmanchipman Posts: 51
    edited September 2013
    If you grind your own beans, I would recomend storing the rub sans coffee and then grind just enough coffee beans for each use. Ground coffee goes stale   in a very short time after grinding. Fresh ground is the way to go.
    ·
  • I just got the coffee at cm. I'm headed to penzys to get the rest
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • $50 at penzeys. Don't ever go there if you don't want to spend your money.
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,861
    $50 at penzeys. Don't ever go there if you don't want to spend your money.

If you get on their mail order catalogue, each month there is a new spice sampler coupon on the front cover.  All they ask is you buy something worth $3+.  There is one an hour from me in Winterpark Fl and last week spent $19 but got 2 free samples, 'cause had 2 coupons.  Went over there for lunch so the gas was covered.

·
  • Richard, I just signed up.
    ·
  • chipman said:
    If you grind your own beans, I would recomend storing the rub sans coffee and then grind just enough coffee beans for each use. Ground coffee goes stale   in a very short time after grinding. Fresh ground is the way to go.
    +1, very true. I think just about everything has a bit more punch if it is fresh, but most of us can't or don't do that, convenience comes first. Most mole rubs and coffee rubs will keep for some time if you keep them sealed. I bet Mickey has the instant espresso around for some time before he uses it all up. 

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • This stuff is incredible. I'd never tasted anything like it until I brined a turkey and put this rub on. To this day, the best thing I've ever eaten. The ancho chili powder/coffee combo sounded so foreign to me, but man...what a home run. I love it on pork chops, and steak. I'll have to try brisket next.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,347
    There's no issue with the sugar burning during the sear when used on a steak?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
    Ragtop99 said:
    There's no issue with the sugar burning during the sear when used on a steak?

Nope, only way my wife and granddaughter wants steak.

·
  • We need to come up with a more catchy name for it. Mickeys coffee rub sounds dumb.

Maybe Jose's java dust?
    ·
    Mickey's Jivin' Java Rub
    ·
  • Mickey's Kilt-Raising Koffee Rub

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • Would hatch chile powder work well in place of Ancho?
    Southern California
    ·
    I used Chipotle chile pepper the first time.
    ·

• henapple said:
    I used Chipotle chile pepper the first time.
    Turned out well?
    Southern California
    ·
    Yeah... Really good. Found it at Publix.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,295
    Fantasia Rub. When you pop the top, "Night on Bald Mountain" plays.

Mussorgsky rolls in his grave, Disney sues the crap out of us.
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,443
    I do not like coffee. Does it have a coffee taste after it's cooked?

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,208
    How do you compare your coffee rub recipe to dizzy's RED EYE ?
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
    @RAC...no. @NDG.. Much better.
    ·
  • do i need to let it sit in fridge with rub on or ca i throw the spatchcock bird on the grill after applying rub?
    Beaufort, SC
    ·
  • Swmbo dosent like anything spicy so I am always cautious of recipes with chili powders and a lot of pepper...how spicy us Mickeys coffee rub?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
    ·