Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Baltimore Pit Beef - tried a new technique

Pit beef is one of my favorite cooks when I want to do something hot and fast.  In the past, I've always reversed seared, going indirect until 90 - 100 IT, then dropping a grid direct on top of the burning coals and searing to 125 or so.  Problem is it's difficult to time the searing so as not to over cook it, and still get a good sear on all sides.  Decided to try a Forward sear (not sure that's the right term, but the opposite of reverse is forward). Trimmed up a 4 pound Top Round.  Got the Egg stabilized at 400, and fired up the Hibachi real hot.  Seared all sides real well on the CI Hibachi, then onto the Egg indirect until 125 IT.  Let it rest, and sliced very thin against the grain.  Served on Kaiser rolls with some tiger sauce.  This is the way I'll do it from now on.  Turned out perfect.

Comments

• HibbyHibby Posts: 456
    I've heard tiger sauce over and over. Is it something homemade? Beef looks great by the way.
    Conservative stalwart in Thornville, Ohio
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Hibby said:
    I've heard tiger sauce over and over. Is it something homemade? Beef looks great by the way.
    Lots of different recipes, but basically it's equal parts mayo and horseradish, squeeze of lemon, touch of garlic, S/P to taste.
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,684

@Tjcoley, that's sensational looking cow!

How did you season it, BTW?

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
    Just salt, pepper and a bit of garlic.
  • Nice TJ

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • JVAVJVAV Posts: 17
    What cut of meat did you use?
    ·
    Top Round, trimmed of all fat.
  • JVAVJVAV Posts: 17
    Thanks, sounds like a good idea for tomorrow.
    ·
  • Looks awesome
    Albion, PA
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,470
    Holy crap that looks and sounds good!!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • bookswbooksw Posts: 234
    That looks amazing

Charleston, SC
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,965
    Oh man does that look good. You make me want to cook another one.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Using this post, suggested by @Griller I completed a nice rendition using a Manager Special priced 4 lbs. Point Roast. Not sure what cut is, but it looked pretty lean so I went for it.

I rubbed the chunk down with some John Henry Mojave Garlic Rub, and did the reverse sear as suggested.

Took the Egg to about 375, and let the meat get to an internal temp of 98 degrees, then wrapped it in heavy duty aluminum foil.
    I removed the place setter, and set in the grate. I opted not to use a smaller grate.
    Brought the Egg up to 650, and put the meat back on for a nice char.
    Let the meat reach 115 degrees at the center, then removed.

Here are some pictures.

·