Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's Brisket

Put a 10lb. packer on about 8:00 this morning for dinner tonight. Just rubbed with S&P. I'm using some pecan chunks that I brought home from my recent trip down south. I bought the brisket from my local meat guy. He raises grass-fed cattle. The cow that this brisket came from was just butchered yesterday and I picked the brisket up from him last night.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Awesome. Knew Knife on your other post is awesome too. One awesome experience ahead.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    It looks like you are off to a good start. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Is that from Newmarket Costco?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Is that from Newmarket Costco?

No. I get them from a local guy named Don Howard; Howard's Farm. He's just N of Mt Albert off of Conc. Rd. 2
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • That's up northeast of Bradford?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• That's up northeast of Bradford?

East Gwillimbury (i think)

Are you sure they just killed the cow the day before you bought your brisket, I thought aging improves beef.  Butcher we deal with ages beef for 20+ days.

Gerhard
  • Looks awesome. Any finish pics to share with us?

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• gerhardk said:
    Looks good.

Are you sure they just killed the cow the day before you bought your brisket, I thought aging improves beef.  Butcher we deal with ages beef for 20+ days.

Gerhard
    That's a good question; I'll have to ask to make sure. I do know that he butchers his cows on Thursday so I have to call him before that to make sure he gets a packer for me.

Looks good from here

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Looks great. How long did you end up cooking it?

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Looks great. How long did you end up cooking it?
    Just over 10 hours and then about an hour of FTC. Temp was mostly around 270* but I did bump it up closer to 300* for the last hour or so.
    Was the meat moist?  I have smoked a few packers and they are always delicious but somewhat on the dry side.  I switched from grass fed to walmart and that made it a bit better (and tons less expensive) but it is still not as moist as I can get at a bbq restaurant around the corner from my house.  I'm trying again tonight and this time I am going to wrap it in foil after 4 hours (a competition bbq guy told me to do that recently).  Love the journey!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    @booksw be sure to post your cook pics too.  Lots to learn about briskets...

Long Island, NY
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    I bought the packer from walmart and last night I rubbed it down with a rub I read about on this forum, called Salt Lick.  I'll post a photo of that.  Then I wrapped the rubbed brisket in plastic wrap and stuck it back in the fridge.  I have done overnight smokes but I always feel exhausted the next day so this time I am going to clean out and prep the egg tonight so it's ready to light and then wake up at 5 and light it and put the meat on.  If it doesn't get done in time for dinner, lesson learned.  We won't starve :)  I am not sure if I am going to use the maverick for this cook- haven't decided.  I have never done a meat smoke without it but I keep hearing and reading that ultimately  brisket is done by "feel" not by temp.  AND chasing the number brings out a side of me I don't like very much.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • booksw said:
    Was the meat moist?  I have smoked a few packers and they are always delicious but somewhat on the dry side.  I switched from grass fed to walmart and that made it a bit better (and tons less expensive) but it is still not as moist as I can get at a bbq restaurant around the corner from my house.  I'm trying again tonight and this time I am going to wrap it in foil after 4 hours (a competition bbq guy told me to do that recently).  Love the journey!
    In my experience the grass fed tends to be slightly less moist but, there was nothing wrong with the one I did last night. Like @booksw, I really do not like overnight cooks when the total cook time is somewhere in the 12 hour (or less) range. In hindsight, I should have had my brisket on before 8am yesterday morning as I did have to cook at a slightly higher temp than I normally do and had to bump the temp a bit at the end. I know that I could have wrapped the brisket but, that's not my style.