Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a brisket recipe that is a little "different"

I am having a gathering this weekend with a large number of adults. As much as I would like to serve ribeyes that would be hard on my budget.  I realized I can get a brisket cheap but don't want it to taste like a normal brisket.  Once upon a time I went to a gathering wherein somebody brought a brisket that had been cooked, I believe, wrapped in foil with a half a bottle of merlot and then slow cooked in a large, rectangular appliance akin to a crock pot.  The brisket had the fall apart consistency of pulled pork and tasted more like steak than brisket.  It had a rich taste like a pricey steak.

Cooking on the BGE is, of course, a requirement, but has anyone seen/known of a recipe that would give a brisket a completely different character than the one I get with a normal rub & slow cook?

Thanks.

Comments

• You could something like that easy. Buy a flat, cook it at 225* in an open foil pan with any type of liquid in the bottom for flavoring (you decide). When it gets to 160* cover the pan with foil and finish to 205*. It should pull apart and have a unique flavor.
  • Ahem
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • So is the brisket sitting in the liquid?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2013
    The Travis method, only bad thing is he uses Shiner Bock, which I can't get her in the GWN - I prefer using Merlot (or any other red wine that I screwed up trying to make - hence it became cooking wine) 
    Travis's method is foolproof and the texture has always been good. Braising is the way some Texans and many non-Texans roll. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited September 2013
    Travis' method is go my to for brisket. Half braised, half smoked and is pull or slice perfect!

I used Guinness the last time for a folded over 14# packer in the medium and all the gang could say was "OH MY".
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Yep, the man himself is here. Go Travis method.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    You could change things up with the flavor profile, but you may want to stick with what works for cooking a tender moist brisket. Travis method is a good one. Personally I prefer doing the fist part of the cook (to 160 or 170) not in a pan, but as long as you cook it tender and pull it off as soon as it gets tender, your good.

What about a teryaki marinade, and a ginger/pepper rub? Save the marinade and add it back when you wrap your brisket in foil. That will give it a nice unique edge, but still compliment the beef.

Have fun, whatever you do!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • I prepped it similar to travistrick's directions, though I used a half bottle of red wine instead of Shiner. I put it on the egg at midnight at 210 and went to bed. At nine o'clock AM the egg temp was 275 and when I opened the lid it smelled amazing, had an internal temp of 205, and was so tender I had trouble getting it off the grill. It is wrapped in foil in an ice chest waiting for me to make a sacue with the drippings. Thanks to all for the input, I think my dinner guests are going to be blown away.