Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Graph for Pork Butt

Options
Here is a graph of how my cook went last night through today. The solid red line is the dome temperature with the dashed red lines being the upper and lower alarm limits for it (lower was 235 and upper was 275). The solid white line is the meat temp with the dashed white line being the alarm setting at 200 degrees. Total cook time was about 14 hours. I did not use a guru or anything like that...just finely adjusting the top and bottom vents. I actually got some good sleep last night too. As you can see from the graph it stayed within the limits until about 7:00 in the morning which I was thrilled about. image

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options

Nice cook especially w/o controllers-what happened around 7 AM that caused you to have to intervene?  BTW-what sized butt?

And if not said before-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Enjoy the great eats!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    lousubcap said:

what happened around 7 AM that caused you to have to intervene?

I think it's because the egg temp dropped below the lower alarm limit of 235?
    canuckland
  • jmcnutt5
    Options
    Thanks. It was about 8.5lbs. When it hits the upper or lower limit, it alarms my phone and it just cooled off in the grill a little to much and dipped below 235 so it woke me up and I ever so slightly opened the daisy wheel on top just a little (and I mean a little) and it started climbing again. We hear and talk about the plateau while cooking the meat all the time but I thought it would be interesting for everybody to see exactly how it works over time.
  • jtippers
    Options
    What kind of setup do you have that alarms your phone? That sounds pretty cool!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Yep, gotta hear more about this setup that isn't a controller but alarms your phone.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jmcnutt5
    Options
    It is called the iGrill. It has two probes and connects via Bluetooth to a smartphone (or iPod Touch). I just took the temperature probe out of the BGE and put in the iGrill probe.
  • brzelt
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that graph, it does really help to watch what happens during the cook.

Got one coming up (my first) tomorrow.  Still contemplating going long starting tonight or turbo and starting in the morning...  Decisions decisions....
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • jtippers
    Options
    @brzelt. - go long for your first butt. It is an experience that shouldn't be rushed. Treat it like a fine cigar, vintage scotch, or a beautiful woman. Enjoy!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July