Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Redfish Ideas

Options
I was lucky enough to get invited on a guided redfish trip this week.  Came home with some nice slabs.  I've never done Redfish, anyone got any secrets they would like to divulge?

Thanks in advance!

Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE

Comments

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    I am interested in the responses you get.  I would season it with olive oil, salt, pepper, maybe some red pepper flakes (depending on the eaters) and cook it around 400 degrees on a plank for 10-20 minutes until it is done.  I would maybe finish it with lemon juice or parsley/garlic/olive oil.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    edited September 2013
    Options
    My favorite is to filet the fish, but leave the scales on. Place on grill scales down then serve. The scales keep the filet from burning and it stays extra moist. Scoops right out after cooking. Usually use Cajun seasoning, a few pats of butter and some lemon. If already filleted out of the scales, then blackened is the way to go. Dip filets in melted butter, dust with blackened seasoning, screaming hot cast iron pan, about 90 seconds per side.
    Austin, TX
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Grilled is good, but I'm with eggpharmer on blackened. Blackened any fresh fish is great.
    Dunedin, FL
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    edited September 2013
    Options
    @Eggpharmer and @yzzi have the idea.  Blackened redfish is a treat.
    Long Island, NY
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
    Btw, that scale trick only works on fish that have thick scales (like redfish). Attached pic is catch from last weekend. Two redfish at top are 20" each. Smallest speckled trout was 15"
    Austin, TX