Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Need some advice on pulled pork.

Alright, I am cooking a 8.5lb butt and started it at about 11:30 last night at 250 degrees. It will be finished around noon today probably. Our plans changed and we are not eating until about 6:00 tonight! The meat is at 180 degrees now and I am planning on taking it off at 200 degrees. What should I do to have it ready for 6:00? Usually I just pull it immediately and serve but I don't have that luxury now. Should I choke down the grill to a lower temp and extend the cook time or will it dry out? Or should I cook to 200 degrees and foil wrap it and put in cooler? Or should I just use a crock pot to heat it back up tonight? Anybody have any suggestions?
·

Comments

• RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    Foil, cooler with towels for insulation. Pull at dinner time. Won't change the taste of the butt
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • radamoradamo Posts: 354
    Like @RLeeper said... take off when you have it done.  Double wrap in heavy foil.  Then wrap in a heavy towel or two.  Prewarm a cooler with hot water.  Then put the bundle into the warmed cooler.

Like that it will stay hot for hours and your 6 PM dinner will be perfect!!!

Long Island, NY
    ·
  • radamo said:
    Like @RLeeper said... take off when you have it done.  Double wrap in heavy foil.  Then wrap in a heavy towel or two.  Prewarm a cooler with hot water.  Then put the bundle into the warmed cooler.

Like that it will stay hot for hours and your 6 PM dinner will be perfect!!!

I would do exactly this!!!! This is what I do and have always had great results. I have done this and then pulled the butts after 5 hours and they have always absolutely held temp.

FWIW, I prewarm my cooler in the shower to make my life easier.

I do not know where you live, but here in Florida it is almost always hotter outside than inside my house. I set the cooler outside in the sun as it will also help hold temp.
    ·
  • I am in Tennessee so that sounds like a good idea. Thanks
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,618
    You have all the correct advice, I have done that many times. Enjoy!

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,651
    All good advice above.  Probably too late now, but I would drop dome temp to 225 degrees to delay the cook.
    canuckland
    ·