Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for the Rib Masters

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, this is only the 3rd time I have prepared ribs. Is there some secret to getting the membrane off. The last 2 times once I got it started it pulled off pretty easy but the 3 I just did were a pain. I ended up dam near mutilating the meat. I had to get them rubbed for today so I did what I could. Anything I can do to salvage these where I didn't get the membrane off.[p]Thanks,
Bullet

Comments

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    You can cut/slice it into small pieces and leave it on.
  • Bullet,
    HINT: Go to a fishing tackle store and buy a cheap pair of skinning pliers (used to pull the skin off catfish). They cost about $5 and will remove the membrane in 5-10 seconds.
    Believe me.....there is nothing harder to skin thana catfish. So ribs are a piece of cake. m.m.

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    Bullet,[p]If you don't have an oyster knife you can use the back of a spoon. Slide the back/handle of the spoon down between the rib and the memebrane and lift gently. Take a paper towel, grab the membrane and pull. On spare ribs I do this on the third or fourth rib down from the long end. On back ribs I find it easiest to do it right in the middle of the slab.[p]Rick
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Mitch in Lincoln,[p]I second.......this is the best way.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Bullet,
    You can see a picumentary of how I do it on my website in the "Cooks" section...also bear in mind that some ribs will come with the membrane already removed, I have only experienced this once or twice. The ribs I buy from Costco always have a membrane on them.....HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Toy Man,[p]I planned on cutting them anyway to 1 or 2 ribs a serving, so you think the membrane I missed will jack them up.[p]TY,
    Bullet

• Theo
    Theo Posts: 9
    Options
    use a paper towel - cut on the bone - and then grasp the membrane with a dry paper towel - it really works !
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    The reason for removing the membrane is that it inhibits penetration of the rub into the meat. It can get a little rubbery when you cook it, but unless you're cooking for certified judges I wouldn't worry about it. Most people don't notice and every rib they've ever eaten in a barbecue restaurant had the membrane on it so they're used to it.
  • The Pork Jesters
    Options
    Bullet,[p]Don't go buy squat. You already have everything you need . . your fingers. [p]Roll the ribs with the gut side being the outside of the roll. This will loosen the membrane. Take your fingers and pull the membrane off. Every once and a while you will need to use a paper towel. [p]Odis