Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

weber plancha

NDGNDG Posts: 1,208
anybody have the weber plancha?  I have been looking for some cast iron griddle for awhile, and this one got the best review from Cooks Illustrated.  I am a little timid by the small "hole" to move grease down to a drip pan - would this hurt the ability to sear a burger by losing critical fat? makes me think of a freakin foreman grill?  Think I am going with it anyway, but here is the link and please let me know if anyone is familiar with this product or other comparable models, thanks.

Columbus, Ohio
·

Comments

• IMHO I'd rather buy a craycort grill with the grill/griddle attachment https://www.cast-iron-grate.com/
    HFX NS
    ·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,208
    i have a cast iron grate already so just need a flat griddle with larger surface area than my lodge skillet has now - plus i like the plancha walls for easy scoop removal (think peppers/onions for fajitas, etc)
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    What size Egg do you have? Description say it is 14" x 14" which means it should be almost almost 20" across diagonally.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,208
    I have a large . . . hmm
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • This is what I use for a cast iron skillet on my large. It works great for searing meat, roasting veggies, and baking bread. Lodge Jumbo Chef's Platter:

I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion. - John Steinbeck

Katy, Texas

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,977
    What about this?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003VGM012

I've seen folks use it on a kettle grill and they liked it.

Cook's Illustrated recs for bbq should be taken with a pinch of salt - they do many things well but bbq is not their forte.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    You won't get better searing than on a cast iron skillet/griddle. Lodge makes them, or you can fine other brands pretty cheap.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·