Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butts

Last night about 8 PM I put thirty lbs of pork on the egg. I checked every few hours and the temp held between 200 and 220. Here it is 14 hours later and 3 of the four butts are still around 155 and have been since early this AM. The one in the back is about 10 degrees hotter (165).

My question is how long should I expect it to take to come out of the STALL? I need to make sure this is done in a few more hours as this is for a friends wedding at 5 PM today. Thanks for any help.

The pic is from a out two hours ago.

Comments

• If you are getting pressed for time, bump up the temp to 250 degrees. You can even do 275 if needed. I cook mine at 250 every time and it takes a 8.5lb butt about 12 to 14 hours.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited September 2013

In my opinion, your temp is too low and you'd fare better in the 250-280 range.  I'd kick it up ASAP and that should get you through the finish line in maybe a couple hours or less.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    That's a fine wedding meal.
    Dunedin, FL
  • It had been around 250 for the last few hours. But to make sure they are finished in time I just bumped the temp up to around 290. Thanks
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    You should be fine. I put 17lbs of pork on at 7:30 last night at 225 deg. Mine is now 192 and nearly ready to FTC. Just put on 3 racks of baby backs with the AR. First cook with the AR. I'm AMAZED at how well thought out the AR is.

One thing I would suggest. If possible, wait til you're ready to serve before you pull the pork. In my opinion it just SO much better freshly pulled.

Good luck! I hope your friend's wedding guests rave about your pig.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    You are well within the FTC window for the wedding based on Eastern time zone.  You can go up into the low 300's but if you need to power thru the stall (where you are) I would resort to foiling them to the finish-line.  (The stall can run from 2-6 hours and there can be the dreaded second stall in the high 180's when it can take 3-4 hours to move into the mid 190's but each butt behaves on its own.)  Better to finish early and FTC then be stressing at the end-of course you could have them delay the wedding :)>- Good eats await-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • All turned out well I took them off the grill in a hurry and forgot to snap a picture. But they were done by 1245. Thanks to all for the info.