Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some advice on pulled pork.

Alright, I am cooking a 8.5lb butt and started it at about 11:30 last night at 250 degrees. It will be finished around noon today probably. Our plans changed and we are not eating until about 6:00 tonight! The meat is at 180 degrees now and I am planning on taking it off at 200 degrees. What should I do to have it ready for 6:00? Usually I just pull it immediately and serve but I don't have that luxury now. Should I choke down the grill to a lower temp and extend the cook time or will it dry out? Or should I cook to 200 degrees and foil wrap it and put in cooler? Or should I just use a crock pot to heat it back up tonight? Anybody have any suggestions?

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Foil, cooler with towels for insulation. Pull at dinner time. Won't change the taste of the butt
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Like @RLeeper said... take off when you have it done.  Double wrap in heavy foil.  Then wrap in a heavy towel or two.  Prewarm a cooler with hot water.  Then put the bundle into the warmed cooler.

Like that it will stay hot for hours and your 6 PM dinner will be perfect!!!

Long Island, NY
  • radamo said:
    Like @RLeeper said... take off when you have it done.  Double wrap in heavy foil.  Then wrap in a heavy towel or two.  Prewarm a cooler with hot water.  Then put the bundle into the warmed cooler.

Like that it will stay hot for hours and your 6 PM dinner will be perfect!!!

I would do exactly this!!!! This is what I do and have always had great results. I have done this and then pulled the butts after 5 hours and they have always absolutely held temp.

FWIW, I prewarm my cooler in the shower to make my life easier.

I do not know where you live, but here in Florida it is almost always hotter outside than inside my house. I set the cooler outside in the sun as it will also help hold temp.
  • I am in Tennessee so that sounds like a good idea. Thanks
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    You have all the correct advice, I have done that many times. Enjoy!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    All good advice above.  Probably too late now, but I would drop dome temp to 225 degrees to delay the cook.
    canuckland