Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Favorite Chicken Rub?

I was in Monterey this past Summer and tried Roli-Roti rotisserie chicken at the Farmer's Market.  I was totally blown away with the flavor.  I have tried chicken a few times, but can't come close to the flavor.  So I thought I'd ask.  What is your favorite chicken rub?  
·

Comments

• I really like Dizzy Pig's Jamaican Firewalk, and Tsunami Spin
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    A coffee rub. Dizzy pig red eye express is great for store bought.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,812

If you are into making your own and like the flavor of Koffee.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1210750&catid=1

·
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 591
    Yardbird is excellent.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,954
    For my wife and I we love DP Raging River rub on yard birds! Man-o-man is it tasty!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,140
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • beteezbeteez Posts: 328
    Willies Hog Dust
    ·
  • BayaradBayarad Posts: 281
    I'm a big fan of heavy on the Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk followed with a light dusting of Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom!
    ·
  • Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    John Henry's Chicken Tickler is a favorite of ours.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·
  • I really like Loveless Cafe Peach. @henapple can get you the hook up, that's where I got mine.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • Mickey said:
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    I have this coffee rub..freaking good stuff!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • Tsunami spin.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,585
    John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler for us.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,735
    We like Plowboys' The Jerk. SWMBO can't get enough of it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • biznorkbiznork Posts: 111
    I can't for the life of me see the point in using rub on chicken unless you're either eating the skin or rubbing under the skin. It's almost impossible to get the skin crispy even after oiling it, leaving it in the fridge overnight, and cooking at almost 400 on a raised grid. Don't get me wrong. I love spatch chicken but I think rub is a waste.
    ·
  • I am a fan of Dizzy Pig rubs. I also really like Plowboys for chicken
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,413
    As above, John Henry's Chicken Tickler is very good.

I also use DP Shaking the Tree, and Spice House Argyle Street Asian.

FWIW, the quality of the chicken makes a huge difference. A local farmer's market offers no-antibiotic, no-hormone fresh chickens. Probably not "free range." The better taste and texture between those chickens and anything I can find at the super markets is immediately noticeable.

Also, rotisserie chicken has the advantage of continuous self basting. There is a local vendor that has a system that is not only rotisserie, but the chicken is dunked in a both spice solution every turn around the cooker. Unbelievable flavor, and the meat pretty much disintegrates. I've tried doing that manually on the Egg, and while it was very tedious, the results were better than average.
    ·