Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The best thing about the egg

Options

I have recently become convinced that the best thing about the egg is that I never have to cover it.  I have a back deck and pool area that is mostly shaded by oak trees.  I have covers on my gas grill, other charcoal grills, a cooler/table, multiple chairs and my fire pit, but I never have to cover my egg.  At this time of year if it rains while a cover is off of something, then it is a minor pain to clean it before I can recover it... but again, not with the egg.  I have an egg cover and occasionally put it on, but I'm not sure why.

So, as much as I like how easily I am able to produce great food on the egg, I think that it's ability to ignore the outdoor elements is it's greatest benefit - at least in my back yard.

Comments? Thoughts?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I can only think of bad things that could happen with covered. Mold..........
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I use a cover...

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Seriously? Best thing is the versatility, hands down.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    to me the best thing is SWMBO don't know how to use it and since she don't know she can't say a word  it is my domaine other then that the versitality it is by far the best cooker I have had the pleasure to use !!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Fouker187
    Options
    Two words, Hookers and Blow.  Well technically that is 3 but you get my drift.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    The BEST thing about your Egg is that you don't have to cover it ????

Why don't you just buy a rock ?  
    :-??

Would the rock get hot enough to sear a steak?

Seriously, I can cook really good food on any of my grills and my firepit.  They take more effort than the egg but if I do it right the food is just as good. 

But I recently used several of my grills and chairs on a day when it rained - and then it rained the next day, etc. By the time I got around to covering them, everything was coverd with leaves, the covers were soaked and full of leaves and water... and by contrast the egg was just sitting there laughing at them and the leaves and the water and probably me. So, I came to appreciate that the egg is not only easier to use while you are cooking, it is much easier to use after the cooking is done as well.

I didn't always see it this way.  When I first got my egg I made a point of covering it and based on that I thought of it as requring more effort after the cook than a gas grill because it took too long to cool down so I always had to remember to cover it the next day...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Move to Austin.  It never rains.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    The BEST thing about your Egg is that you don't have to cover it ????

Why don't you just buy a rock ?  
    :-??
    What? In Texas you gotta buy rocks? Hell we have so many they're free up here. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Capt7383
    Options
    I liked the price
  • Village Idiot
    Options

What? In Texas you gotta buy rocks? Hell we have so many they're free up here. 
    Uh, no.  This is part of my back yard.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited September 2013
    Options

Skiddymarker

Village Idiot

Seems our Texas rocks don't look good. So we toss them and go buy good looking rocks. I sh!t you not............................

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I have the fancy cover... Used it once, now it hangs as a counter weight for my gear shelves. LOL

Everything is better because of the egg
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    So I have actually been pondering this. Recently moved my eggs to the new (uncovered) patio and was wondering whether I needed to keep them covered. I guess I'm hearing that I don't need to? 

The large sits in an EggCrate made out of 2x4's, I may have to put some waterproof stain or something on the wood to prevent water damage over time. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    A wooden EggCrate? Pics please.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I cover just to protect the hinge. No big deal if I forget though.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I've never covered mine in 16 years of Cdn weather

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    henapple said:
    A wooden EggCrate? Pics please.
    You'seen it before... the egg on the left in my avatar.

I've never covered mine in 16 years of Cdn weather
    You win. That's all I need to know. No cover it is.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    To me, best thing about the egg is it produces excellent food at minimal maintenance (cover not needed), minimal clean up, minimal attention (temp stays consistent) and minimal cost (so efficient dont need lot of charcoal).

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• bbqlearner
    Options
    Good looking rock that reflects sunlight, expensive and can be set on a ring to be put in Someones finger? :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Blewis212
    Options
    Best thing about an egg? Eggers
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Its a great excuse for a wanna be Chef marinate himself and occasionally some food.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Not needing a cover is definitely a nice bonus! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

The only time I cover is when we are expecting snow. Not that snow affects the egg, but ice has been a problem.