Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick brisket advice needed...

Options
I just put on my first brisket without a real plan in mind.... I know, bad idea. I was trying to get it on the egg to make sure it is done in time for dinner tomorrow.

Here is my dilemma:

12lb whole brisket, point and flat. Coated with mustard and bad byrons rub then put on the egg indirect at 225 w/apple wood chunks. My problem is, I am not sure when to pull the point from the flat to make burnt ends. Kinda worried because this is my first attempt at a brisket and my better halfs family is coming over for dinner tomorrow.

Any guidance?

SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    I've never done them, but I think burnt ends are typically sliced off the finished brisket and put back on the egg in a foil pan with the drippings for another 30 minutes or so.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• jtippers
    Options
    Thanks, I just found a YouTube video that explains it really well.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    I separate the point from the flat when the flat has reached that probe slides in like butter. Usually that is 190 - 205 it seems for the briskets I get. Then wrap the flat in foil then FTC the flat.  While it is getting relaxed and happy, I cube the point, put into an aluminum pan, add some more rub, sauce and back on the grill for a couple of hours until they are tender and the sauce caramelized to the meat. Slice flat and serve with burnt ends.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • rsmith193
    Options
    I wrap in butcher paper when the flat hits 180º, that's' s when I separate the point. Cube it up add rub to the cubes in a foil pan for about 3hours then add a little sauce for another hour. Judges candy is ready!