Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Chicken Rub?

I was in Monterey this past Summer and tried Roli-Roti rotisserie chicken at the Farmer's Market.  I was totally blown away with the flavor.  I have tried chicken a few times, but can't come close to the flavor.  So I thought I'd ask.  What is your favorite chicken rub?  

Comments

• I really like Dizzy Pig's Jamaican Firewalk, and Tsunami Spin
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    A coffee rub. Dizzy pig red eye express is great for store bought.
    Dunedin, FL
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Yardbird is excellent.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    For my wife and I we love DP Raging River rub on yard birds! Man-o-man is it tasty!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Willies Hog Dust
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    I'm a big fan of heavy on the Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk followed with a light dusting of Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom!
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    John Henry's Chicken Tickler is a favorite of ours.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I really like Loveless Cafe Peach. @henapple can get you the hook up, that's where I got mine.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey said:
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    I have this coffee rub..freaking good stuff!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Tsunami spin.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler for us.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    We like Plowboys' The Jerk. SWMBO can't get enough of it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    I can't for the life of me see the point in using rub on chicken unless you're either eating the skin or rubbing under the skin. It's almost impossible to get the skin crispy even after oiling it, leaving it in the fridge overnight, and cooking at almost 400 on a raised grid. Don't get me wrong. I love spatch chicken but I think rub is a waste.
  • I am a fan of Dizzy Pig rubs. I also really like Plowboys for chicken
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    As above, John Henry's Chicken Tickler is very good.

I also use DP Shaking the Tree, and Spice House Argyle Street Asian.

FWIW, the quality of the chicken makes a huge difference. A local farmer's market offers no-antibiotic, no-hormone fresh chickens. Probably not "free range." The better taste and texture between those chickens and anything I can find at the super markets is immediately noticeable.

Also, rotisserie chicken has the advantage of continuous self basting. There is a local vendor that has a system that is not only rotisserie, but the chicken is dunked in a both spice solution every turn around the cooker. Unbelievable flavor, and the meat pretty much disintegrates. I've tried doing that manually on the Egg, and while it was very tedious, the results were better than average.