Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My first brisket (and post)

BigKRexBigKRex Posts: 7
edited September 2013 in Beef
Got a LBGE about a month ago, so far I've done ribs, spatchcock chicken, and pork loin, all with fantastic results (thanks in no small part to this great community!). Decided to try a brisket for poker game tonight. For my sanity I'm trying a faster cook at 300 F, starting at 6 AM. Hope to have it ready by 6 PM (will be checking every couple hours). 

http://imgur.com/a/e30jU (album with descriptions, updated throughout cook)

Some of my previous cooks: http://imgur.com/a/jUF1

Start:
(finish to come!)
·

Comments

• Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Good luck! What wood are you using for smoke?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982
    Off to a promising start. Salt and pepper rub only?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • @Chris_Wang: Thanks! I threw a few chunks of hickory in there.

@Griffin: Yep, I figure start simple, and if I think it could use some flavor I can add some to the next one.
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,498
    Good luck and welcome aboard!

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982
    Salt and pepper has become my go to for brisket. Save all those other spices for something else, a good brisket don't need no extra help, IMHO.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Get yourself a remote thermometer. It makes keeping track of your cook so much simpler and eliminates the need to open the egg to check temps.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Update, 4 hours in: Egg holding strong at 300 F, meat at 155 F.

·
  • What's in the pan?
    ·
  • @cul-de-sac-er: just water and juices
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,595
    Damn that gasket is nice... =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • BigKRexBigKRex Posts: 7
    edited September 2013
    Ugh-oh, coal was almost all used up when I checked after six hours  :(( Added more, and really having trouble getting it back to temperature (it had dropped to 250 when I added coals, and was down to 200 30 minutes later). I think I screwed up by dumping the bottom of the bag on, maybe the little pieces are choking the air?

Edit: yep, I gave the coals a good stir and it heated right back up as usual. Couple lessons learned there. Guess I'll just have less FTC time, not really a disaster.
    ·
  • She's done (well, main cook anyways), and looking great! Final egg temp was 320 (creeped up over last two hours) and meat internal was 200. I chopped the point up and put it back on the grill for burnt ends and FTC'd the flat, where it will be for 1-2 hours.
    You better believe I munched on a few of those pieces, wonderful! 
    ·
  • BigKRexBigKRex Posts: 7
    edited September 2013
    Serving...
    Honestly is was a bit dry, but had a wonderful smokey flavor, and looked amazing. Everyone loved it, and I'm happy it turned out pretty well despite the midday scare. Think I'll do a low slow cook for the next one, can't wait!

P.S. I was very happy with the S&P rub.
    ·
  • Looks good from here.  Nice smoke ring.  If everyone liked it then it is a success.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·